Advertisements
'electronic' trunk latch part replacement

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By USNavyVet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 'electronic' trunk latch part replacement

After spending 3 hours today at a local Chrysler dealer for an oil change for my wife's PTC 2007 convertible and repair of a non-functioning remote-activated trunk latch the dealer informed her that the trunk latch repair requires replacement of an electronic "part" and that the part & labor would be $450. After narrowly escaping cardiac arrest from the cost estimate she declined and left. The dealer was reluctant to offer any further information probably because, heaven forbid, the customer might go out and replace the part themselves!

Manual use of the key to open the trunk works fine. However remote activation via key FOB or use of the trunk push button inside the glove box does not work. Does anyone have any experience replacing this particular part that the dealer is referring to? $450 just seems like an unreasonable and awfully high cost estimate. For that amount of money we can continue to open the trunk manually. Can anyone assist or offer suggestions? Comments appreciated.
Thanks.
Willie
Old 28 Jul 2011, 07:29 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 'electronic' trunk latch part replacement

I got my 05 pt vert in june 2011. The fob and trunk didn't work.Took it back after I found the wires cracked. Told them and they fixed it by taping the wires.Good luck for the button in the glove box works now but not the fob doesn't. xtreme cindy
Old 28 Jul 2011, 09:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

All I can say that if you want to kook at it, the panels all over the interior come off pretty easy to get to the lock. Shouldn't be that much of a difference from my 01 and I took it all apart to get to the rear wiper motor to take it out and replace it with just a handle.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 10:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

good suggestions. more things to look into. Thanks.
Old 02 Aug 2011, 12:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Bump to the top; hopefully someone has an answer. Have the same problem with mine. Initially had a broken wire replaced and that fixed the problem; but the fix only lasted a month or so...
Old 16 Aug 2011, 07:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Jtwheels2007

What year models is this trunk latch compatable? Does it actually pop door open slightly or how does it work?
Old 16 Aug 2011, 01:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just a guess here. ( donning my special hat and grabbing my smoking pipe )
hmmmm
If they said they have to order a part and knowing the biggest expense is the labor they charge. The part they are thinking of is not grossly expensive.
Also if it were a bad wire they would not need a "part"
Therefore I am surmising it is the electric actuator in the door itself. This would apply only if their guess of a part is correct.
Thus it should be the actuator in the hatch panel.
Remove the panel to gain access to the actuator and check terminals for corrosion. If none present then apply 12 volts to the actuator and see if it kicks the latch. If it does not you need an actuator. Depending on where you live go to a u pull it junk yard and grab one. ( I see no logic for the models to be different. ) Or order one from online or dealer.

Here is a link to what you would be looking for. I am sure others carry it at different prices.

Dorman 746-253 Tailgate Lock Solenoid | Free Shipping

Last edited by GhostFlyer; 16 Aug 2011 at 01:56 pm.
Old 18 Aug 2011, 07:48 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlyer View Post
Just a guess here. ( donning my special hat and grabbing my smoking pipe )
hmmmm
If they said they have to order a part and knowing the biggest expense is the labor they charge. The part they are thinking of is not grossly expensive.
Also if it were a bad wire they would not need a "part"
Therefore I am surmising it is the electric actuator in the door itself. This would apply only if their guess of a part is correct.
Thus it should be the actuator in the hatch panel.
Remove the panel to gain access to the actuator and check terminals for corrosion. If none present then apply 12 volts to the actuator and see if it kicks the latch. If it does not you need an actuator. Depending on where you live go to a u pull it junk yard and grab one. ( I see no logic for the models to be different. ) Or order one from online or dealer.

Here is a link to what you would be looking for. I am sure others carry it at different prices.

Dorman 746-253 Tailgate Lock Solenoid | Free Shipping
My stars, Holmes!! How ever did you figure that out...?

2005 Dreamcruiser Series 4 Convertible. Deep Lava Red (not the plum color) with matching top. Infinity sound, two tone leather, High Output Turbo

2002 Durango 5.9 R/T. Cherry Red. Full time AWD, Infinity Sound, K&N intake.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 05:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

before buying any parts, check the wires where they are attached to the hinge, the pt vert has a big issue with the wires because everytime the hatch is opened and closed the wires flex and bend. Most likely the wires are broken, another way to check is to see if your third brakelight is out. If the light doesn't work either, then it will be the wires at that stupid hinge.
Old 14 Dec 2017, 09:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Having the same issue with my '09 Touring Edition except that it also releases by itself randomly...usually a few minutes after I've parked/locked it or a few minutes after I've started driving down the road. Very irritating! Thanks to all who contributed to this thread--very helpful info.
Vwildes1 likes this.