PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
ROAD TRIP!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Aug 2011, 10:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Mandie
Default ROAD TRIP!!!

I just purchased my 2005 PT Cruiser Touring Convertible on June 4th. It has approximately 85000 miles on it. I don't do a lot of driving normally, so I was cool with the mileage. However, I am planning on leaving for vacation and taking a road trip from Cincinnati to Phoenix Arizona on Friday, it is about 1900 miles one way. I am wondering with this kind of mileage of I should choose to opt out of taking the PT on this long trip? I don't know much about them, so I don't want to get into a situation where it breaks down on me. It is in great mechanical condition, has new breaks, however, I do have an issue with the brakes "ticking" when coming to a stop. Does anyone know why this might be?
Old 06 Aug 2011, 10:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: ROAD TRIP!!!

Might be getting close to your wear indicators. Have you had anyone look at the pads to tell you how much life they have left on them?

As to the drive, well, not sure how the PT was taken care of prior to you owning nor have you really specified what type of PT, specifically I don't know if it's a turbo or not. If not, then just make sure you change your oil, oil filter, air filter, and maybe even plugs and wires before going.

Me, I drive a LOT of long trips. I go from just north of Charlotte, NC, on MANY trips to Atlanta and Richmond and Charleston, all around 4 to 5 hour trips each way. Then I do about 5 times a year trips up to Ft. Wayne, IN, Indianapolis, Orlando, and many other spots 10 hours away. Last I do a couple of trips a year to Dallas, which is about 15 to 17 hours, depending on weather and traffic. I also do a LOT of back road cruises, over the mountains, into TN, KY and all the way over to Ohio and up to Ft. Wayne just to relax while driving, those are two day trips anywhere from 14 to 20 hours because I do a lot of mountain roads, even gravel roads.

I've got just over 50k miles on my PT and most of those are long distance. The reason I bought the PT, or one of the reasons, is that they do well on long trips. Again, I don't know how well maintained yours was before you got it, so can't voice an opinion on it without actually going over it with a fine tooth comb. Shame I'm not going to Ft. Wayne any time soon as I tend to swing by your town to visit friends.
Old 06 Aug 2011, 10:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

And by the way, welcome to the forums!

Old 07 Aug 2011, 09:48 am
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: ROAD TRIP!!!

and with 85000 miles on it when you get back from the trip you should start thinking about changing your timing belt and water pump replacement.but the cruiser is good on long trips,the more you stay on the interstate system during your trip the better your mileage will get,it's when you get into the city's with the stop and go traffic it start's to drop off
and welcome to the forum
Old 07 Aug 2011, 05:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mityqwik View Post
and with 85000 miles on it when you get back from the trip you should start thinking about changing your timing belt and water pump replacement.but the cruiser is good on long trips,the more you stay on the interstate system during your trip the better your mileage will get,it's when you get into the city's with the stop and go traffic it start's to drop off
and welcome to the forum
i totally agree. I just got back from florida a few weeks ago. I live in San Antonio so it was about a 2700 mi round trip. Mileage was good and so was everything else.