Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
electric window issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Aug 2011, 04:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default electric window issue

My window will go down, but not up. Because I have a convertible, this a big problem.

In the convertibles, the window will automatically nudge down down a bit when you open the door and go back up when you close it. This is because there is no window frame and the glass has to seat in a groove in the frame of the top.

So I noticed the problem today when I opened the door and the window went down but not up. Everytime I opened it, it would go down a smudge further but not back up--so it will just go farther and farther down.

I was playing with the switches, testing the other windows and trying to see if I could get the stuck window up and accidentally put it all the way down. All the other windows work fine.

I was in the car again later today and tried the switch for the stuck window and it worked and the window came up. Next time I got out of the car however, it went down to open and stayed in that position. It's August and I don't have a garage, so I have to get in and out on the passenger side in order to not have a gaping open window.

I've also been laid off, had to buy new tires, new brakes, a new computer and a root canal since then.

What is the problem and what is the cheapest way to get it fixed?
Old 10 Aug 2011, 07:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: electric window issue

The intermittent may be do to lose contact or corroded one. the door slam may shake it enough to make contact briefly.
Those motors run both directions depending on which way the voltage is applied. Me I would check at the motor in case corrosion got to the contacts. Pull and clean the contacts. Try the door. If not fixed then try to use alligator clips on leads from a voltmeter. Careful you do not get BNE effect. Set the meter to read a much higher DC than the 12 volts. When you open the door you should get a voltage , then another when you close it but polarity reversed. If you only get pulse one way then going to have to trace back thru the door but as I do not have a diagram from there I am out of luck. I am sure someone will post a diagram.

BNE = bent needle effect ( needle bends when it smacks the peg )

Last edited by GhostFlyer; 10 Aug 2011 at 07:22 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 10 Aug 2011, 08:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: electric window issue

I had that problem with my front passenger window. It was the switch. I found one used for $30 and it's working fine. If you go on Rockauto.com, you will find the best price for a new one. I have a 2005 Convertible.

Last edited by compdr59; 10 Aug 2011 at 08:14 pm.