PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05 PTC intermittently loses power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Sep 2011, 03:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question 05 PTC intermittently loses power

Good day,

I have a stock 05 PT Turbo GT Convertible with an unusual problem.

This just started to recently happen.

I was enjoying some top down driving, had the cruise set and then the cruise turned off, the car lost power and when I gave some gas, the engine started to spit, sputter and backfire (a few times) and I pulled over and when I tried to give it gas, it continued to spit, sputter and backfire, but the engine never stalled. I turned the car off, restarted with no problem and the repeated the problem. Turned it off again, waited a couple of seconds, restarted and voila! the problem disappeared. So I thought I got bad gas, so I stopped at a new gas station I use, put some gas treatment in the tank, added more gas to tank and a week went buy with no problem. So I thought that was the problem. Well I had the problem happen again yesterday and I repeated the process, of pulling over, etc. and once again the problem disappeared!
If I attempt to continue driving, I can't go over 30 mph and if I press the accelerator down to the floor, it doesn't help. Also if I don't stop the vehicle, it causes the whole car to shudder

So guys, what would cause this problem? It's driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance for all of your assistance.

Note: I apologize for being long windeed (or is long-typed)
Old 30 Sep 2011, 03:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 05 PTC intermittently loses power

Excellent information. You are in "limp" mode. You need to read the diagnostic trouble codes and tell us what shows up so we can help you troubleshoot this. The reason for this, the stalling and sputtering, is there is a problem being reported by your computer, and the car goes into "limp" mode to allow you to get home. Then you need to pull the DTC codes and start from there.

The instructions are here for finding your codes and determining what they mean. Once you've got the codes, if you can't immediately find the issue come back and let us know what is showing up.

Not much we can do without the trouble codes.
Old 06 Oct 2011, 10:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 05 PTC intermittently loses power

I'm sure that within the last 2 years you have fixed this issue, so basically this is for those who have this issue but havent fixed it. change the cam shaft positioning sensor and the crank shaft sensor. that SHOULD fix the problem

Tags
lose of power