PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Turbo down for the count...Urgent advice needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Oct 2011, 01:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Turbo down for the count...Urgent advice needed

Hey gang..

Sad news today. My 2005 Turbo convertible went in the shop because it died beside the road last night. Everyone thought fuel pump and I prepared for the worse. Ha! That would be the best news right now actually.

Mechanic says timing belt went and took engine with it. Can hook me up with 30K engine for 4.2k. I only paid 6K for the car cash and have only had it for 6 months.

Question to the people in the know...is it worth the investment?

My heart says yes because I love this damn car. But I cant make a financial decision on emotion. The car has 130K on it and the body is 100%. Everything works great but a/c which I couldnt care less about.

What would you do?
Old 19 Oct 2011, 02:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: PT Turbo down for the count...Urgent advice needed

Well its not worth much the way it is. I would say that it would be worth it to fix. Even if you were sick of the car you could put the new engine in it and recoupe your money with a sale. You might want to shop around for used engines a little more, that's a low mile engine they are offering but there may be better deals out there. If you love the car its a no brainer, get it fixed, IMO. I faced a similar problem with a car my son had a few years ago, we replaced the engine and then sold the car for about 2k more than the cost of the engine.

Last edited by DuRoc; 19 Oct 2011 at 02:13 pm.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 02:13 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuRoc View Post
Well its not worth much the way it is. I would say that it would be worth it to fix. Even if you were sick of the car you could put the new engine in it and recoupe your money with a sale. You might want to shop around for used engines a little more, that's a low mile engine they are offering but there may be better deals out there. If you love the car its a no brainer, get it fixed, IMO.
Agree. When you trade cars, you don't know hwat you're getting into - unless you buy a new one, and you can't get a new PT Cruiser.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 02:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks PT friends...

I must definately be leaning toward fixing her because I have spent the last 3 hours shaking every couch cushion for loose change...figuritively speaking

PT...always worth the investment.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 02:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Top Down Girl,

How well do you know the mechanic that diagnosed your engine failure? Dozens of owners have come here with the same timing belt failure and ONLY one had internal damage which is a couple valves hitting each other. The PT engine is a non-interference engine so the worst that should happen is a couple of valves clash and bend which is a far cry from "taking the engine with it". Head comes off, valves replaced and your back on the road. $1200 - 1800 max.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 03:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Top Down Girl,

How well do you know the mechanic that diagnosed your engine failure? Dozens of owners have come here with the same timing belt failure and ONLY one had internal damage which is a couple valves hitting each other. The PT engine is a non-interference engine so the worst that should happen is a couple of valves clash and bend which is a far cry from "taking the engine with it". Head comes off, valves replaced and your back on the road. $1200 - 1800 max.
thanks for your feedback...I know him pretty well. He has been working on my cars for 10 yrs. He is a perfectionist and is very anal. Anything not 100% gets replaced. He said rebuilding it piece by piece would cost more than the 30K mile engine he found. I just think that price sounds ridiculous but I dont know how to challenge him properly. I dont want to accuse him of price gouging me because I sure as heck dont know a thing about engines. My whole case is based on "but I only paid 6K for the whole car!". How big of a girl does that make me sound? But given your feedback, I will push back and ask why we cant just replace the bent valves and the timing belt.

I'll keep you posted!

Thanks again!
Old 19 Oct 2011, 03:27 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

IMO, $4200 for an engine is a little too much...I've seen brand new Mopar crate engines for $2700
Old 19 Oct 2011, 03:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
IMO, $4200 for an engine is a little too much...I've seen brand new Mopar crate engines for $2700
I know! That price just seems unreal to me. I hate to beat a dead horse but I only paid 6K for it!
Old 19 Oct 2011, 07:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Top Down Girl,

I agree. First time I've ever heard a breaking timing belt on a PT take an engine.

EVER!

I don't really think it matters you've known him for ten years, I don't agree with his assessment. And $4200 for a new engine? Young lady it sounds like you are being taken.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 07:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTMAN View Post
I agree. First time I've ever heard a breaking timing belt on a PT take an engine.

EVER!

I don't really think it matters you've known him for ten years, I don't agree with his assessment. And $4200 for a new engine? Young lady it sounds like you are being taken.
Yes it feels that way to me too. I feel somewhat backed into a corner. He is the only one in the physical presence of the car. To get a second opinion I would have to have the car towed somewhere else and that somewhere else would be to someone I dont know or trust. Times like these I hate being a girl. I feel at such a disadvantage over a dude. Its also times like these when I wish I had a dad.