Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Elastic Straps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2011, 08:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Elastic Straps

The elastic straps that keep the headliner from getting caught while closing the top are extremely stretched out. How much should I expect to spend at an upholstery shop to have them replaced.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 16 Dec 2011, 10:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Elastic Straps

Really good question. If they have to remove the top to work on it, it'll be expensive, add to it, I had a 7 year veteran CJD mechanic work on my top, he's taken them off four times before mine, and it still took him two hours to remove the top, 1 hour to fix it, 2.5 hours to put it back on. They suck to remove! I've got similar issue with my elastic straps. Wondering if there's a way to fix them without removing the entire top. If it wasn't raining I'd go look now at it...
Old 21 Dec 2011, 01:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

After reading this I went and looked at mine. Sure enough they are stretched out too and the top bunches up when it closes. I bought it used a couple of months ago so it has never been right. I just never knew the difference.

It looks like if you are flexible enough you might be able to replace them with only a little effort. There is one screw that is just hanging out there. I was able to follow it back with my hand and felt where it attaches near the front of the top. It is another screw holding that in but it would be a matter of getting a screwdriver in there without messing up the headliner.

Now I just have to figure out where to order the part from.

Old 21 Dec 2011, 05:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The other end is sewn to the headliner. I took out that screw. I'm thinking of going to a fabric store and just making two strips and screwing them in at both ends and cutting off the old. I'll just add it to the honey do list.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 22 Dec 2011, 09:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdr59 View Post
The other end is sewn to the headliner. I took out that screw. I'm thinking of going to a fabric store and just making two strips and screwing them in at both ends and cutting off the old. I'll just add it to the honey do list.
It seems silly that it is sewn in if it is also screwed in.

That sounds like what I will be doing too. I will have to head down and get some elastic and something to strengthen the ends so they don't tear. I'm thinking a small piece of rubber that I can put a hole in.

Do you know what length to make them? I was thinking just long enough so that they have a slight slack when the top is closed. Not enough to sag but enough to take the pressure off. Hopefully they will last a little longer that way.

Old 24 Mar 2012, 09:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CranTerri

I have had my 05 Rag since August of 2011 and never really knew what them straps were for. Duh! Now I have to go and see if I can attatch them to where they belong. It's raining too much right now but, now I have a project to do once it stops raining. I'm so happy I read this thread! Thanks~

Old 08 Apr 2012, 09:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have always noticed those straps, esp how they look stretch to thier brakin point when putting the top up and down, onces top is up there is the part where the strap is that the top gets folded up on the metal braket of the top, even if mine broke or really stretch, once top is up cant u just move the fabric top with ur hand so it not bunching up over the metal bracket? I do that all the time..soon as top in up and inplace i just lean over and unfold the fabric on both sides......btw...does this mean my straps are over stretched?
Old 08 Apr 2012, 09:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

They prevent the top from getting caught in the frame when closing the top. Many of us have to hold the fabric from getting caught or release afterwards. If your headliner is not straight after closing, they're probably stretched out and not doing their job.

Original Owner 135k