Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Vanity Mirror Lube

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Dec 2011, 05:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Vanity Mirror Lube

When I returned from vacation my battery was dead. After a jump start I started to investigate what killed my battery. It turns out the passenger side vanity mirror cover was broken. When I went to check the driver's side, it was stiff and almost broke too. I went to my local Chrysler dealer to purchase a new sun visor. The said the part number changed twice and the current P/N was $150. I asked if any US dealers still had the original $30 visor and I purchased the last one in the country from a dealer in MS. I advise all convertible owners to spray some WD-40 on those cover hinges.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 21 Dec 2011, 07:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Vanity Mirror Lube

Happened to my driver's side mirror not long ago. I'm going to clamp a small bar around it, as those tiny plastic hinges really suck, then glue it into place, sand it smooth and paint it to match. Will see the raised edge of it when the visor is flipped down, but at least it'll keep it on the hinge so it won't keep slipping out and lighting up. If/when I get it done I'll post pictures. Going to be doing some experiments prior, to try and find the best product to use for repairing it.

Agree with you, except for one thing. Instead of WD-40, which is too runny, if you take a q-tip and dab some vasoline/petroleum jelly on the hinge, it really greases it up good. Then wipe off the excess. Treat it once a quarter and they'll never stick.

For me, I'd rather experiment with a repair than pay for a new one. They are way too expensive. Funny thing is, I seldom use it! lol
Old 21 Dec 2011, 08:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I've been using my daughter's car while she was in spain. I let my son use it and probably one of his friends in the passenger seat had to open it. I don't need a small dimly lit mirror to see that my hair is a mess. I used a rust preventative marine lubricant on the hinges. I was going to glue it closed if I didn't find the $30 visor. I'm just in shock that the current P/N is now $150.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.

Last edited by compdr59; 21 Dec 2011 at 08:54 pm.
Old 21 Dec 2011, 08:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdr59 View Post
I've been using my daughter's car while she was in spain. I let my son use it and probably one of his friends in the passenger seat had to open it. I don't need a small dimly lit mirror to see that my hair is a mess. I used a rust preventative marine lubricant on the hinges. I was going to glue it closed if I didn't find the $30 visor. I'm just in shock that the current P/N is now $150.
have you tried looking at your local junk yards or amazon, or ebay?
Old 21 Dec 2011, 09:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yes. They were about $30 after delivery. Non local for pick-up. I got the new one for $38 delivered.

The price of the more current P/N is out of control. My local dealer gave me the contact of a dealer with the original P/N in inventory.

Original Owner 135k
Old 21 Dec 2011, 09:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

yup, that's the STEALership for ya