Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Noobie here with some questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Dec 2011, 10:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Noobie here with some questions.

Hello all Noobie here to the P/T Cruiser...details...05 P/T convertbile Touring Edition..Cream leather with a light grey top/inside trim..42k on the odom..turbo...I work for a jeep dealership and when I saw this come in..I wanted it...got it for 7500 bucks...they replaced the power steering..but brakes on and gave it a all over check up ( of coarse I double check..its a dealership!)..this is my first turbo ever and unfortunely I dont have a 24/7 garage to park it in when its snowy or rainy here on Cape Cod MA..im about 2 miles from the ocean...the car is in MINT cond including the top..
is there anything for me to become aware of?
will my top hold up if im easy with it tho it sits outside in nasty conditions?
anything i need to know about the turbo?

use forums like this for help with my Vue and my Miata I love these forums..
btw...cant tell if there is a fluttering of the valve..me using cheap gas..or what but at front of engine there is a little flutter when u step on gas..is that normal?....and if i have all sound devices off..i can hear the turbo esp when the auto is down shifting..almost like a jet winding down..or hear the turbo winding down when u turn off car..is that normal?

sorry so many questions..cheers
Old 24 Dec 2011, 01:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Noobie here with some questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieCar View Post
Hello all Noobie here to the P/T Cruiser...details...05 P/T convertbile Touring Edition..Cream leather with a light grey top/inside trim..42k on the odom..turbo...I work for a jeep dealership and when I saw this come in..I wanted it...got it for 7500 bucks...they replaced the power steering..but brakes on and gave it a all over check up ( of coarse I double check..its a dealership!)..this is my first turbo ever and unfortunely I dont have a 24/7 garage to park it in when its snowy or rainy here on Cape Cod MA..im about 2 miles from the ocean...the car is in MINT cond including the top..
is there anything for me to become aware of?
will my top hold up if im easy with it tho it sits outside in nasty conditions?
anything i need to know about the turbo?

use forums like this for help with my Vue and my Miata I love these forums..
btw...cant tell if there is a fluttering of the valve..me using cheap gas..or what but at front of engine there is a little flutter when u step on gas..is that normal?....and if i have all sound devices off..i can hear the turbo esp when the auto is down shifting..almost like a jet winding down..or hear the turbo winding down when u turn off car..is that normal?

sorry so many questions..cheers
I'm no turbo expert, but if I had to guess, it sounds like you may have a worn bearing on the impeller. But there are others here who can probably answer it better.

2005 Dreamcruiser Series 4 Convertible. Deep Lava Red (not the plum color) with matching top. Infinity sound, two tone leather, High Output Turbo

2002 Durango 5.9 R/T. Cherry Red. Full time AWD, Infinity Sound, K&N intake.
Old 24 Dec 2011, 02:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

And turbo cars like high octane fuels, they can adjust for low grade, but
if you get detonation (aka 'pinging') piston will break.

I would accelerate very carefully to avoid this; use RPM with light throttle instead of torque. IOW, keep in lower gear longer.

That's about all I know about turbo's, these guys can fill you in on the rest.

And welcome, Merry Christmas! Sounds like a beautiful car.
Old 24 Dec 2011, 03:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

As far as the turbo winding down, does the car have an intake on it? if not, Check inside the air box and see if the silencer (white plastic piece) was removed by previous owner. It's in the pipe that goes to the turbo.

I modified my airbox by cutting the snorkel and removing the silencer. After that I hear the turbo spool up and wind down.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 24 Dec 2011, 06:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok good to know..Ive own this car for about 3 weeks now..so far very happy with it..I have full coverage for the next 4 yrs so if anything goes im covered..and it seems like noone has really had complaints on the top not lasting long...I was running 87 oct when I first got it but thought it might be better to switch to higher,,we will see in the next few tanks if the sound goes away, if not ill have my work listen to it..again this is my first P/T and first turbo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaaaaaaaaaa.jpg (89.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg a.jpg (66.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 25 Dec 2011, 10:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Run synthetic oil to keep the turbo happy.

Per the top, read here

Convertible Top Care Products. 303 convertible top care and Wolfsteins Raggtopp Products

I use the formula 303. I used their cleaner the 1st time and treat it twice a year with the fabric guard.

Buy a nice soft bristle brush, when you wash the car, wash the top 1st with the soft brush with the clean soap and water.

If you keep the top treated it will extend its life.

Oh nice looking car

What do you do at the dealer?

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue

Last edited by VNT; 25 Dec 2011 at 10:57 am.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 05:23 pm
Young Cruiser

Welcome to the Forum BarbieCar, If you have the HO Turbo (High OutPut) you should run premium fuel. The Turbo Lite can run regular fuel. As to protecting the car from the weather, If it's going to be stored for any length of time, a car cover (That is custom fitted to the PT Cruiser Conv) would be a good investment. Good Luck with your Vert. It's my favorite Color, But I couldn't find one when I was in the market for a GT Conv.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Osiris and Cabin Photos 018.jpg (92.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Osiris and Cabin Photos 028.jpg (101.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 28 Dec 2011, 06:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The Touring edition turbo is the turbo lite. It's set up to run on 87 octane gas, but I would still run 91 or above through it, though 87 won't hurt it. I would never run dyno oil in it, you really should follow the suggestions on going over to syth oil, and add to it, where you're at, you really want to make sure it's running 5w30!

As to the roof, yes, it can stand up but there are some things you need to be careful about. Mainly the salt and ash they use on the roads up there is dangerous to the top. You need to try and clean it as often as possible during the winter. I know that may not be very often, but the main thing is to keep it cleaned off. Also, you need to make sure that if you use a power hose/pressure washer you don't get that nozzle anywhere near that roof. Keep it at minimum 18" off the roof or you'll end up wearing spots on it. Believe me, voice of experience!

The listing suggested above at Autogeek.net is brilliant and takes you to many of the products available for your cloth top. Personally, my thought is that Ragtop makes the best care products for our cloth tops.

Also, Autogeek has a youtube video on convertible top care. Watch the video first, it's a shortcut to what you need to do to take care of it.

Now, another item to be aware of is that your windows may freeze shut. That's when the "aw d&m it" comment comes out. In our verts, it's really difficult to open the door if the window doesn't do that lowering thing it's supposed to do when you push the handle button to open the door. Many times mine have gotten frozen stuck during the night. I tried everything, but went about it the wrong way. The place that the windows stick is at the bottom edge, at the rubber trim. So, finally I figured out a way around it. First I clean my windows with that RainX cleaner, then use RainX to seal the windows. When you're cleaning it, make sure you roll the windows up and down a few times to get clean water past that rubber trim, that or hold it open with a piece of plastic and rinse it clean. Then do the same thing when you treat the window - roll it up and down so the RainX gets on that rubber liner really well. I also spray a bit of RainX on a paper towel and rub it into all the rubber trim around the windows and on the top so that it all gets a good coating.

There is also another option, and that's a cover. I don't use a full car cover, because I don't like putting it on when all that salt crap is all over my car, so I use a Cali Pop Top that just covers the upper part of the car. Works great, and all I do is roll it towards the rear and off comes all the snow and ice and my windows/doors never freeze shut!!!

Here's their add for the PT:

And on my car: