Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Decklid and Elastic Straps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2012, 05:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Decklid and Elastic Straps

It was 60 in New York today so it was a good day to play with my toys. I saw that Chromenut was looking to purchase a decklid moulding, so I went to check the condition of mine. Two of the screws were not holding anything because the plastic was broken around it. I took 4 grommets, and picked up some plastic 5 minute epoxy from the Home Depot. Using some flat head screws, the moulding should hold a little longer.

I also stopped at a fabric store and picked up a yard of elastic material. I had to cut the old ones off the headliner. I just screwed the elastic into the existing mountings after folding the ends. I just estimated the amount of tension, so I didn't measure the length. I hope it holds up.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 07 Jan 2012, 08:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Decklid and Elastic Straps

Good idea on the elastic. As to the molding over the trunk, well, I had replaced one of the screws that had come loose, was stripped out. So slightly larger screw. The head of the screw started rubbing against the fabric of the top and frayed a section, so tried to fix it with better screws. Next thing ya know, I'm putting up the top and it catches on that molding and rips it right off. Lucky as heck that it didn't tear the fabric of the top!

So, all my attempts to fix the original one have failed. Soon as I get another I'm going to pull my body tools out and turn in that piece where the molding screws to so it doesn't touch the top. Really gonna P*&^ me off if it continues to fray it. Them tops is mucho expensivo!
Old 08 Jan 2012, 08:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Decklid and Elastic Straps

I have a weather stripping that rides along that moulding. It was caked up with years of dirty water collection and was very stiff. I cleaned it out and sprayed w/ silicone. The P/N for mine is about $90, I hope it didn't change to the 06 P/N. I may be able to get some more time with my fix.

The end of the elastic that's half way down the window needs to pivot. If the one's I made were to fail, I'll know for next time. A yard of material costs $1.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.

Last edited by compdr59; 08 Jan 2012 at 05:57 pm.