PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Top won't go up - Button is "stuck" and only goes DOWN.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Mar 2012, 12:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via ICQ to WebGuy Send a message via AIM to WebGuy Send a message via MSN to WebGuy Send a message via Yahoo to WebGuy Send a message via Skype™ to WebGuy
Default Top won't go up - Button is "stuck" and only goes DOWN.

Hey everyone. Although I've been a PT Cruiser owner since April 1, 2000, my first Cruiser was totaled out on Feb 9 when a guy rear ended me at a stop light.

I just replaced my beloved PT with a 2006 PT Convertible Touring Edition. Burgundy with camel tan leather interior. Beautiful car. I bought it on the 28th and already I am experiencing trouble with the top.

This vehicle was sold "as is" and "no warranty". The top worked fine before I bought it and the day after I bought it until later in the evening. The temp dropped and I went to raise the top but the top of the "raise/lower" button will not press in anymore. The bottom of the button (to lower) still works great but it is as if the top of the button is LOCKED or something.

I am not sure if there is some type of "lock out" safety feature that is preventing the top of the button to depress normally or what. I had the car running but in PARK yet the button just refuses to be pressed at the top anymore.

I backed the screw off counterclockwise on the motor in the roof of the trunk so I could go ahead and manually raise the top (which was a little bit of a chore) but the button only seems to want to press in at the bottom now.

Ideas?

Last edited by WebGuy; 01 Mar 2012 at 01:41 am.
Old 01 Mar 2012, 01:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via ICQ to WebGuy Send a message via AIM to WebGuy Send a message via MSN to WebGuy Send a message via Yahoo to WebGuy Send a message via Skype™ to WebGuy
Default Re: Top won't go up - Button is "stuck" and only goes DOWN.

Spoke too soon I guess.... SOLVED!

Found this post on Fixya:

Convertible top does not rise up - FixYa

So I pulled the silver center section straight back, got a flash light and found the culprit. A tiny piece of plastic that looks like it came out of one of two slots in the silver center part of the dash.

There are two of these little plastic tabs on either side of the bottom of the "radio hole" in the silver piece.

One of them apparently broke off (the one above the top raise/lower button) and lodged itself into the top of the button preventing the top of it from being pressed in.

Found where it broke off. Removed it and all is well.

Thank God for Google.
Old 01 Mar 2012, 04:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sounds like the switch is defective.
Old 01 Mar 2012, 06:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yup sounds like a bad switch...
Old 02 Mar 2012, 01:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This is weird. I actually already solved this issue before the two of you replied but it said something about "forum moderator" would have to review the reply.

What happened was a tiny piece of plastic fell down inside the switch blocking it from being pressed in at the top.

I dug it out with a pair of tweezers and now it works fine again.

For whatever reason, the reply never got approved.

Here are the images:

This one shows the small "tabs" and how the one on the left (top of pic) is missing.

http://video.webguy.com/tab1.jpg

This second pic shows how tiny this piece of plastic is:

http://video.webguy.com/tab2.jpg

And lastly, this one shows a better shot of where it came from:

http://video.webguy.com/tab3.jpg

Mark
Old 02 Mar 2012, 01:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This is weird. I actually already solved this issue before the two of you replied but it said something about "forum moderator" would have to review the reply.

What happened was a tiny piece of plastic fell down inside the switch blocking it from being pressed in at the top.

I dug it out with a pair of tweezers and now it works fine again.

For whatever reason, the reply never got approved.
Old 02 Mar 2012, 03:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

im glad you got it fixed but i ahve no idea what you are talking about saying the Mod has to approve a post???????????
Old 02 Mar 2012, 05:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
im glad you got it fixed but i ahve no idea what you are talking about saying the Mod has to approve a post???????????
Apparently it is fixed now. Here's what I was trying to post earlier.

The little piece of plastic I dug out of the top of the roof up/down button likely came from the notch directly above the button itself, pictured here:

Here's where I pulled it from using some tweezers.

Matches up perfectly doesn't it....

Last edited by WebGuy; 02 Mar 2012 at 05:13 pm.

Tags
button, convertible, raise, top, won't