Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 PT Vert Radiator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2012, 08:27 pm
Young Cruiser

Default 06 PT Vert Radiator

I went to change my coolent yesterday and when I tried to drain the Radiator, The drain valve wouldn't allow any coolent out. The valve would only turn 180% and then stop. I tried pulling on it, But since it's made of plastic, I didn't pull on it too hard as I didn't want to break it.
I pulled the lower radiator hose and drained it that way. Can someone enlighten me as to the proper way to get the &^**# drain valve to work?

J
Old 24 Apr 2012, 09:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 06 PT Vert Radiator

You didn't curse the poor plastic drain valve did you? if you would read your owners manual ...you do have an owners manual don't you? It says to only turn it 1/4 to 1/2 turn. It doesn't screw all the way out, not supposed to. Also take off the radiator cap to help it drain.

Another little tid-bit, if it's been years since you drained it last, you probably have enough junk and debris on the bottom of the radiator where, taking the lower radiator hose off would be the only way to empty it. Then it needs to be taken to a shop and power washed to clean out the inside and outsides of the whole radiator.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 24 Apr 2012 at 09:08 pm.
Old 10 May 2012, 10:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 06 PT Vert Radiator

Guys, I've seen postings time and again about the radiator fans and guesses as to diagnosing the problems, overheating engines, etc. In the OEM Service Manual there is an entire section dedicated to the engine cooling system and how to troubleshoot it. I was going to post this in my library thread but it's locked, so I'll post it individually until Crewzin unlocks it.

Now, the service manuals are different for '06 and up, however if I were you and I was troubleshooting overheating problems, I'd download both because they both have excellent info in them.

Here they are, you can download directly from my web library:
2000-2005 PT Engine Cooling System
& 2006 and up PT Engine Cooling System.