Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
what DECENT upgrades can be done?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 May 2012, 02:08 pm
Young Cruiser

Default what DECENT upgrades can be done?

Hey guys;
Just upgraded my stock lightbulbs to HyperWhite (yes, I read the how-to and here, and you guys weren't kidding, the high beam bulbs are a b*tch, missing skin off my knuckles).

The car is an '05 Convertible 5 speed, NON-turbo.
It came with aftermarket chrome wheels (not my favorite, but no choice in the matter)
It also has an aftermarket K&N clone intake cone (It says AirRaid?) I don't think it's considered cold-air intake b/c its not down into the fender well (is that true?)

Anyway, I LOVE the way the intake sounds when i get on it at higher RPM's in 2nd and 3rd gear, but I DON'T wanna put on a La-Rassa Mobile Fart Can Exhaust pipe to enhance sound.

Are there any fairly priced bolt-on parts that will increase performance? Possibly even an exhaust that will add HP without sounding like a Honda with an exhaust leak?

Also, I know some PT's come in a turbo model.
Has anyone ever heard of adding a turbo/supercharger (more likely a turbo) to a non-turbo 5 speed? Is it far-fetched, or have people done it? and what would the ballpark price be?
Thanks!
squarebeer likes this.
Old 05 May 2012, 05:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: what DECENT upgrades can be done?

Been answered.

Being that your car is N/A, bolt-ons will yield very minor results just as with any other car.

With $$$, you can make any car fast.

As for forced induction, it's a cheaper and more viable solution to sell the N/A PT and buy a turbo PT.
Old 05 May 2012, 06:07 pm
Banned

Why the hate against honda's?

I agree with Kawi.

There are many other things to upgrade along with throwing on a turbo.....

If you want to look fast you can with your NA, if you want to go faster buy a GT or at least a turbo lite.

Good Luck
Old 05 May 2012, 06:20 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the info guys...

Nothing against Honda's. lol.. I owned two of them...
Was just a reference, as I remember my friend ryan in High School had a black stock auto civic, with like the LOUDEST muffler ever made, and it just sounded like an annoying exhaust leak...

As for selling, not really an option...just bought it last week, and with taxes, reggy, and extended warranty, I'm basically upside down on it...I DO LOVE IT THOUGH! so I'm gonna keep it..

I did a little bit of research, and it looks like I could get a decent turbo from anywhere from $814-$3,000 (plus labor).

I guess what I'm asking is, first of all, is there damage risk since the car doesnt come stock with a turbo? like can a stock n/a handle it?

and also, since my intake is at the same place as the stock box, can I get one that goes into the wheelwell? and would that give me better performance?

thanks all
Old 05 May 2012, 07:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You said you have the Air-Raid kit on your car. That kit pulls air from the wheel well where the stock air box does. As long as you have the rubber edge stops on to stop warm air from the engine getting to the filter, there's not a lot to upgrade. That box and filter does a good job of feeding cool air to the throttle body.

As far as adding the Tubo to the N/A engine, it can be done but the stock engine isn't built up internally for a lot of stress like the Tubo engine so you'll be limited to about 6 psi but as was said already, lots of work and $$$$ for the conversion.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 05 May 2012 at 07:26 pm.
Old 05 May 2012, 08:25 pm
Young Cruiser

Ok got ya.
Not sure If I have any "rubber edge stops". I'm going outside now to take a pic of it, so this way you can tell me if all the parts are there.

Also, since it says "AirRaid", is that ok, or should I go with a K&N cone instead for better performance?
Thanks...

Also, If you'll notice in the pic, at the bottom of the airbox, it looks like a greasy film down there...If I get a closer look, a few of those plastic squares in there had a little bit of red oil in them (a sproatic coating of it on the bottom of the airbox).
It almost looks as if it were ATF, but my car is a 5 speed. Is that excess "cone lube" oil that dripped to the bottom from the previous owner?

What do you think? So far I absorbed a good amount of it with a paper towel when I first noticed it. What is it? and will it cause any harm?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intake.JPG (63.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 05 May 2012, 09:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: what DECENT upgrades can be done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowlerclone View Post
Ok got ya.
Not sure If I have any "rubber edge stops". I'm going outside now to take a pic of it, so this way you can tell me if all the parts are there.

Also, since it says "AirRaid", is that ok, or should I go with a K&N cone instead for better performance?
Thanks...

Also, If you'll notice in the pic, at the bottom of the airbox, it looks like a greasy film down there...If I get a closer look, a few of those plastic squares in there had a little bit of red oil in them (a sproatic coating of it on the bottom of the airbox).
It almost looks as if it were ATF, but my car is a 5 speed. Is that excess "cone lube" oil that dripped to the bottom from the previous owner?

What do you think? So far I absorbed a good amount of it with a paper towel when I first noticed it. What is it? and will it cause any harm?
the red oil is from your air filter some one could have put to much oil on the filter and it will drip down to the bottom of the air box .from the picture you do not have the rubber strip that will make a seal around your airbox once the hood is closed .you can contact airaide tell them what you have and they will send a rubber strip to you
Old 05 May 2012, 10:19 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowlerclone View Post
Ok got ya.

Thanks...

The remaining bottom half of your original air filter box needs to have the 3" box to fenderwell mod done.

Please click link below

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 053 hood at rest.jpg (69.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 053.1 NA air filter box.jpg (34.8 KB, 30 views)
mityqwik likes this.
Old 05 May 2012, 10:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Want a quick car? Just buy my Vette and keep your PT the way it is
Old 06 May 2012, 06:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

As said above, except for getting a Vette, your missing the rubber edge that goes around the top of the box and makes a seal when the hood is cloed. Make sure you have some elbow at the side of the box where it will draw in col air from the fender well. As Jerry mentioned, an air box mod making that elbow a little bigger can't hurt and wlll increase the air coming into the box. Last but not least, you don't have the original red air filter that the Air-Raid came with (it would be oval) so either get hold of a K&N filter cleaning kit and re-do the filter you have or get rid of it and buy a replacement filter. The one you have looks filthy.

Here's what yours probably looked like when it was new. Rubber edge on the outside, clean oval red filter in the middle. It sits on the OEM bottom half of the air box and drew in cooler air from the fender well.

mityqwik likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 06 May 2012 at 07:12 am.