Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Remind me NEVER!!! again to change out the rear speakers in a 2006 PT VERT

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 May 2012, 11:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Remind me NEVER!!! again to change out the rear speakers in a 2006 PT VERT

oh my gawd, my digits hurt sooooo freekin bad.

Nut shell,

Here is my 5 minute guide,
1. reach under seats and pull caps off bolt plate. might need to tap them with soft mallet from the back to loosen or pull outward. Give it a good pull from the front.
use bungies to secure seats and hook to top latches on driver / passenger side.
This will keep the seats out of your way.
1. Pull fake roll bar lens covers off interior lights, use tiny flathead, take bulbs out, pull straight on lens caps, they will snap out
2. Take U shape " Fake roll bar panels off starting with center piece
3. Take side panels off that underlap the "fake roll bar, these reach all the way down to tub of car. Just like the door panels you will need to pull with a little muscle. Be carefull not to rip the weather seal strips on each side of the
horseshoe bar. In carse you are curious, its been said before its not a roll bar. and as you can see by the construction on the inside it is not.
4. loosen nylon pull straps from back of car on each seat. THis is the only thing besides the bolts keeping the seats attached to the car.
5. unbolt the four screws holding seats in. Get seats out of your working area.
6. flip up seatbelt caps, there is a hex bolt under there. I would use a breaker bar with a nice torx bit. You will need the torx of something stronger than 1/2 drive or 3/8th. pull bolts off , you need the flexablility to move the interior quarter panels around a little.
7. Use breaker bar again and this time you are removing the heavy bolt that fastens the seatbelt to the quarter panel. ( spend about 10 minutes doing both of those btw. and rest up.
8. pull interior fasteners. There are three on each panel. 2 at the bottom and one stuck way high up in behind the back headrest pillow. BTW< i could not figure out how that pillow came out, Fortunately, the panel slid up without that. those last two up high behind the pillow are a bitch, so have fun.
9. There are 2 phillips screws where the vert boot snaps too i think, mine didnt come with a boot. Remove these and be sure to catch the rubber screw cover on the underside with your hand.
10. Remove the caps in the back-side panels, that reveal a small hole. I use it for my finger for levrage. Use a panel removal tool . screwdriver with towel, or your hand. and start working the snaps screws off all the way around. the seat but still runs through the panel up near the horseshoe, so be carefull, pull up and out and forward. it will come loose, be carefull not to break the bottom front lower piece and the topmost back piece, These are very easy to snap if you arent watching your technique.
11. To make it all too fun, your reward is a 5x7 speaker removal, and thanks again for the need for hex bolts on the back speakers but not the front???? Really Chrysler????.

*** I was not going to attempt the back, but after pulling all the speakers out in the dash, doors, etc, in my wifes 06 PT, i wasnt about to not do the rear.

Be patient. Its not the easiest task and i would say if you know what your doing an hour to hour and a half.

Sorry no pictures. I was stuck in there and couldnt find phone. I might have missed a few screw posts or something but this was better than what i found when i searched.

Its a pretty labor intensive job!!!!

Can anyone shed light on the correct metra harness for the dash speakers.

EDIT: 10 minute conversation with Metra tech support. Its discontinued but the same for mazda, and other select vehicles. Made them for circuit city, (their biggest plug n play account)
Metra 72-7902 - Dash Speaker Harness" listed under a tweeter harness in their book and google. Looks identical to 72-7901 as well, which is available. I will post back in a few days to confirm. Same harness for dodge chargers , mazda, etc. Should have that harness on Friday, If not , splice job! 72-7901 is very close but the molding is too deep, might have worked if I dremeled the plug. Just decided to cut and crimp wires instead and since didnt have much slack on wire from stock , just used tap and splice or scotchlocks.
Metra 72-6514 - Front and Rear Spk Harness

The 2 rear, and 2 door speakers use the bigger plugs . The dash uses something quite smaller.

Anyone??? I need to order this stuff on amazon, I guess i can just tap and splice them but was gonna try to do it with the adapters if possible.

Last edited by nc88keyz; 23 Jun 2012 at 06:12 am.
Old 23 May 2012, 01:26 pm
Banned

Default Re: Remind me NEVER!!! again to change out the rear speakers in a 2006 PT VERT

NEVER!!! change out the rear speakers in a 2006 PT VERT
Old 23 May 2012, 02:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Remind me NEVER!!! again to change out the rear speakers in a 2006 PT VERT

that was too funy. and too late i suppose.

I should have stuck this in sound and security, BUT it specifically pertains to the VERT, which i didnt see a non paid for write up on. so there you are.

I need some help with speakers now.

I need to hear them , but alas i do not have a car that goes now lol.

I was thiking.

POLK DB351 Dash
POLK DB651 DOOR
POLK DB691 REAR (6x9)

Everything i see says 3" depth from top mount, But there is a farily large opening beyond that 3"s for perhaps premium speakers or something. I wonder what my chances are that the 6x9s will fit at 3 3/16" deep ???

They are coming from amazon though, so i guess not a big deal.

These are coming in right around 52-56% off. 189 for all three pairs.
compared to crotchfield at 150 for the 6x9s.

I will be using a KD-BT1 JVC deck. No amp at this time. On a budget.
Later perhaps.

Ive heard MB Quart as well. Can someone tell me how much better i will be doing . These look like mid range polks, perhaps better than BB variety as well.

I need to get car back on road by Tuesday latest.

HAVE not ordered speakers just yet, reading a little more.
Old 23 May 2012, 03:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

Welcome to the forums! Where are you from? Im from Raleigh, NC!

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 23 May 2012, 04:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ive been lurking for years. Unemployed, so was dabling with the PT Vert, I dont think dabling is the correct word for it now though in retrospect, at least my wife would think not.

Wilmington, NC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt1.jpg (90.2 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg pt2.jpg (92.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg pt3.jpg (91.9 KB, 114 views)
Old 23 May 2012, 04:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

pic set 2:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt4.jpg (92.0 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg pt5.jpg (93.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg pt6.jpg (89.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg pt7.jpg (89.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg pt8.jpg (90.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg pt9.jpg (87.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg pt10.jpg (95.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg pt11.jpg (92.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg pt12.jpg (91.4 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg pt14.jpg (94.3 KB, 90 views)
Old 23 May 2012, 04:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

missing #13!!!>

Think three times before you pull rears in PT Vert is all i have to say!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt13.jpg (89.7 KB, 88 views)
Old 23 May 2012, 05:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Dill, your blue PT Vert is a beaut. We wanted that color but alas ended up with silver. 3 years ago we paid $8900 i think, with 22,000 miles on it. That would be in 2009 give / take and we traded in a 98 Jeep GC and a sebring vert 99. for about 5800 trade in for both. Jeep had a blown tranny, and was falling apart electrically speaking, sebring had 68k. I think you got a pretty good deal if you got out of there around 6 ish. Thank god for cash for clunkers competition that year.
ALBERT likes this.
Old 23 May 2012, 09:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Remind me NEVER!!! again to change out the rear speakers in a 2006 PT VERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
NEVER!!! change out the rear speakers in a 2006 PT VERT
THIS! >>>>

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 24 May 2012, 08:05 am
Senior Cruiser

Thanks for the write up

Have you put the large 1/4 trim panels back in yet? If not could you post a couple pics of what they look like, so one can see where the blind pop fasteners are on it?

I want to yank mine(have 3 PT convertibles) so I can flood the interior blind panels which go around the rear wheel well and bhind the lower rocker area behind the door openings with rust preventer.

I can yank the seats out in 10 minutes.

can one thread a wand in the interior panels via the axcess holes to do this procedure.

I can see a lot of these convertibles will rot out on those lower areas since the water runs down inside them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 381.jpg (84.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 357.jpg (84.2 KB, 89 views)

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue