Advertisements
Royal Mistake made, Ruined Convertible Top

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2012, 03:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Royal Mistake made, Ruined Convertible Top

Hey all,
Wondering if anyone out there has any last hope words for me before i have to spend $970 to $1043 on a new top (unless someone knows of some place cheaper? this was quotes from "convertibletops.com").

I took a trip from Key West to Sarasota, and back (appx 800 miles).
The "lovebugs" and other highway insects were in full effect this holiday weekend, PLUS i had a TON of WHITE (my top is black) bird sh*t stains on my top.

When I got home, I powerwashed the entire car, got all the bugs and bird poop off..
The next morning I went out and noticed that I basically RUINED my top with the power washer...

I power washed the tops on 2 of my chrysler sebring convertibles and NEVER had this happen!

Its almost as if the material now is like scuffed up, but it looks darker/newer in the powerwashed spots..

I tried scrubbing the entire top with a car wash brush, hoping to make it look even and natural...no luck..
Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions on how to hopefully fix this?

I was thinking of literally just power washing EVERY SQUARE INCH of the top to make it look uniform..

Let me know what you guys think...
Thanks alot (PS, it rained HEAVY the last three nites, and that didnt lessen the damage either)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top1.JPG (42.6 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg top2.JPG (36.0 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg top3.JPG (37.5 KB, 141 views)
Old 31 May 2012, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Royal Mistake made, Ruined Convertible Top

When I first read the subject of this post and the first few lines..I was expecting the power washer put holes in your top. I'm glad this is not the case.

Judging from the pictures..all the powerwasher did was remove the outer (and faded) layer of the fabric thus revealing the darker (newer) part of the fabric.

Even though there are many people on this forum who prefer the D.I.Y. approach..I'm a proponent of hiring a professional. With that said, I recommend going to an automobile upholstery shop and seeing what they have to say. And by all means..get more than one opinion/quote.

2006 PT Cruiser GT Convertible

Old 31 May 2012, 03:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Is the fabric fibers damaged or is it cleaner in the areas of the streaks?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 May 2012, 05:44 pm
Young Cruiser

Hey guys,
Thanks for the quick responses...
Funny that you should mention it being "cleaner" in the powerwashed spots, bc that's exactly what it looks like..

I don't think the fibers are "damaged" per say, but they do looked stressed, stretched, and looks like they're actually pulled UPWARDS, as opposed to being pushed in from the pressure washer.

I will stop in a few upholstery shops this week when I head up north (not too many places down where I am)
I just hope they don't tell me I need to buy a new one.
It looks as if u just scrubbed a certain part of a carpet and not the rest.
It could very well be that now its cleaner in those spots, OR the power washer removed a layer of the fibers off...?..

The top has no leaks and is in perfect working order, so I really don't want to replace it bc of cosmetic reasons..

Going forward, if anyone else reads this and has had this or something similar happen to their top, please let me know what ur solution was.. Thanks so much to all who have helped so far..
Old 31 May 2012, 06:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Royal Mistake made, Ruined Convertible Top

Worth a try:

Amazon.com: Forever Black Black-Top Dye for Vinyl Tops: Automotive
Old 31 May 2012, 06:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

It is possible you just super cleaned where the high pressure water blasted away all the dirt/grease residue

Read this, try the 303 Fabric cleaner, perhaps it will loosen and clean away the rest of the top so the areas you hit wont be noticable

Get a soft brush, spray the cleaner on, let it soak, scrup with the soft brush and rinse. You have nothing to loose but 25$

303 Fabric Convertible Top Kit, Fabric convertible top cleaner, fabric convertible top car, cloth convertible top care, canvas convertible top care

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 31 May 2012, 07:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
Will make cloth very stiff. I would exhaust all other avenues, cleaning or otherwise first.

Awesome cleaner from dollar stores is a great fabrics cleaner and is very affordable.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 31 May 2012 at 07:55 pm.
Old 01 Jun 2012, 03:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hey, it's a repairable mistake, and one I've made more than once.

Go check this out: Convertible Top Care Products. 303 convertible top care and Wolfsteins Raggtopp Products

Believe me, the main thing to watch out for are the folds where the fabric meets other pieces and the stitching. Personally, I have folds with issues because they started rubbing against the metal rail on the back end where the top self-stores. Follow the suggestions on that Autogeek link above and you'll find that your top will look brand new!

ONE ITEM TO NOTE - DO NOT USE 303 CLEANER ON A RAG TOP!!! IT WILL STIFFEN THE MATERIAL AND CAN CAUSE OTHER ISSUES!!! 303 IS FOR VINYL, NOT FABRIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RAGGTOPP is unarguably the best cleaner and protectant for cloth tops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mityqwik likes this.
Old 01 Jun 2012, 08:45 am
Senior Cruiser

Chrome

Why do you say not to use the 303 Fabric Cleaner on the Top

I have used it on the three of mine( which were in very good shape to begin with) twice a year to keep them clean.

I have a soft bristle brush. I vacuum the top, then wet it down, spray the 303 Cleaner on liberally, let it soak and gently use the soft brush to work it in. let is soak some more then rinse off.

Then I wash the rest of the car. Pull it in the garage and allow to dry and next morning I hit it hard with the 303 Protectant, paying special attention to coating the stitching and windows pockets. I also lift the top partially up so I can get the area under the rear window where it is tucked in below the beltline.

My tops all look new and I will continue to use the 303.

From the site on the 303 cleaner16 oz.

303 Fabric/Vinyl Top Cleaner
This cleaner differs from other top cleaners, as it uses colloidal action to get the job done. Colloidal action was first used be scientists to break up particles in oil from oil slicks in our oceans. The oil literally would dissolve in the water. Think of this cleaning action in terms of the reaction of the atom in an atomic explosion. The atoms in the colloid lift, separate and hold in suspension the oils, grease, dust, and soils which have been penetrated. This breakthrough allows the ultra-wet water to hold grease, dirt, and oil in suspension, allowing them to dissolve within the water. This product is safe for all convertible tops, and also works wonders on fabric, velour, and carpeting. The 303 Convertible Top Cleaner is non-hazardous, non-flammable, and non-toxic. It is safe to use on tile, floors, doors, woodwork, ovens, upholstery…even fruit! It is excellent for removing residue and dirt on fruits and vegetables, which attests to its safety.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 01 Jun 2012, 01:22 pm
Young Cruiser

Hey Guys, well I'm glad someone else (chromenut) has made this mistake and bounced back from it.
Considering the car does only have 42k on it now, it is STILL 7 years old, and I think the rest of the top needs to be cleaned how the powerwashed spots are...

With this said, I took all of you guys' input, and was headed up to advanced auto to see their selection of top cleaners you guys mentioned, and I ran into another problem:

I was not even a mile down the road (US-1, 45mph speed limit), and all the sudden I heard "DING!", the TEMP light was lit red, but the temp gauge shot all the way DOWN to cold!

I pulled over to the gas station, WITH THE CAR ON, the pulleys all looked good, no leaks, coolant level looked fine, etc..

So I shut the car off for a minute, started it back up, and the temp went back to normal and the TEMP light didnt come on..

I did only drive it back home, then let it run for a few minutes without incident..

I'm going to take another 800 mile trip this weekend, so i'll find out soon enough if i'm going to have to call roadside assistance...

Has this "gauge" issue ever happened to anyone else? it sounds like it could be an electrical issue...I've owned the car a little over a month, i hope this isn't another bad lemon....

Let me know what you guys think.