PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Another Question Re Convertable Boot

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2012, 04:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Another Question Re Convertable Boot

I have been to two show's in the States, Maggies and Watkins Glen.
On two occasions I saw a Convertible with leather custom made boots! One was from New York City the other a red car that had been bought in Florida.
these leatherett type boots can be folded and placed in the trunk not taking up much room. Does anyone know who or where they might be made and
what the cost might be for one?
I know snaps have to be added to the car and the back is tucked into the top of the trunk
Thx
RonDee
Waterloo Ontario
rongk@sympatico.ca
Old 27 Jun 2012, 07:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Another Question Re Convertable Boot

Are you referring to the stock boot which came stock in the GTs and some others, I have two with my GT;s and my base didnt come with one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0676.jpg (94.8 KB, 36 views)

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 28 Jun 2012, 02:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I was stopped at a rest stop off I-95 coming north back from Florida and a guy and his wife in this beautiful Vanilla White PT vert stopped in. They had a beautiful custom made leather snap on cover too, and it cover over the back seat also so that the sun didn't heat it up when driving with the top down, also it reduced tremendously the amount of back-wind blowing around under the seats. The guy said he took it to an upholstery shop in either West Palm Beach or Fort Lauderdale, I don't remember which, or could have been Boca Raton. Anyway, he had it made custom. I have a shop literally right up the street that I'm thinking of having a snap-on leatherette top made too. They do all kinds of custom boat covers, car covers, etc., and I asked them today and they said, sure, just bring it by and they'd price it out.

If I get it done, I'll have them make a template, then you can order from them. Let me know if you are interested so I can work that out with them. Good thing is all PT Verts regardless of year should be around the same measurements for the boot covers.

The more I think about it, the more interested I'm getting. I want to be able to use my boot cover whenever I put the top down, but the OEM cover sux for storing it. With a straight leather one, you just roll it up and voila, stored in the trunk! I've got the materials set aside to make a custom boot storage bag for my trunk, and going to have that shop stitch the PT emblem on it. Guess I'll post pics when done!!!

One thing to remember that's important when doing a custom boot cover - you need some foam rubber (or similar) padding over where the arms fold down. On the OEM cover, it's a plastic piece, but I'd rather just put like a 2" thick foam pad glued to the inside of the leather boot that would work just as well.

Last edited by Chromenut; 28 Jun 2012 at 02:20 am.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 08:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sounds good

I have one of the Black screen covers covering the back seat and up to the roll bar but I am interested in the leather boot cover !
Keep us posted on how you like it etc.

Thx
RonDee
Old 30 Jun 2012, 05:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Another Question Re Convertable Boot

I LOVE my OEM Black Boot, but with my Subwoofer in the Trunk, I can't Store it there, so I have to keep mine behind my Drivers or Passengers Seat, which normally isn't a problem, except when I gave 3 BEAUTIFUL Girls a Ride in my Cruiser and the one sitting behind me, had to take her Sandals off and keep her Feet up on my back Seat, which she didn't mind, but since it was a Rainy Day, well, I couldn't Install the Boot, so even though I'd still use the OEM Boot, like for Shows, I'd LOVE to have one that I can always keep in the Car on hand, just in case you know, because honestly, I really don't like having my Top down without my Boot on...
Old 30 Jun 2012, 08:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

RonDee & MHP - agree with you both. I have no room in my trunk for the oem cover, really gets me upset because it's sitting in my shed collecting dust.

So, yesterday I stopped by Buddy's, he runs a place that makes custom covers, and his wife is making new seat covers and head rest covers for my boat. Spoke to them about creating a custom boot cover, and they are very interested. I'll be taking my factory cover over to them on Monday.

Now they will be giving me a quote for an individual purchase price and for a group buy. The individual price is going to be higher than the group price, obviously. I'm going to be doing a photo shoot tomorrow with my top down so we can start designing the new cover. Mind you, we'll obviously use that snap that's towards the front, but considering instead of snaps across the back having them lap-seam a piece of fiberglass rod or plastic into the edge so that it can be stuff under the back lip.

Then where the existing cover goes into that slot behind the seats, we can probably have them make a rigid edge so that we can do the same. This will reduce the amount of work we'll need to do to make the custom cover fit.

Add to this, I'm going for Pleather, not Leather. The reason being it will hold up better and last longer than real leather. Also, I'm thinking of having them stitch the PT Cruiser logo across the center of the cover, just trying to figure out which way to have it face. I'm thinking rearward.

I'm working on a graphical image to give you all a better idea. I'll also be posting a new thread about this, as I have to find out how many people will be interested in this. The more, the cheaper!

We're also going to limit the colors, I'm thinking dove gray, black, and that light creamy tan color?? I'll need suggestions !!
Old 30 Jun 2012, 08:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Cool Re: Another Question Re Convertable Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
RonDee & MHP - agree with you both. I have no room in my trunk for the oem cover, really gets me upset because it's sitting in my shed collecting dust.

So, yesterday I stopped by Buddy's, he runs a place that makes custom covers, and his wife is making new seat covers and head rest covers for my boat. Spoke to them about creating a custom boot cover, and they are very interested. I'll be taking my factory cover over to them on Monday.

Now they will be giving me a quote for an individual purchase price and for a group buy. The individual price is going to be higher than the group price, obviously. I'm going to be doing a photo shoot tomorrow with my top down so we can start designing the new cover. Mind you, we'll obviously use that snap that's towards the front, but considering instead of snaps across the back having them lap-seam a piece of fiberglass rod or plastic into the edge so that it can be stuff under the back lip.

Then where the existing cover goes into that slot behind the seats, we can probably have them make a rigid edge so that we can do the same. This will reduce the amount of work we'll need to do to make the custom cover fit.

Add to this, I'm going for Pleather, not Leather. The reason being it will hold up better and last longer than real leather. Also, I'm thinking of having them stitch the PT Cruiser logo across the center of the cover, just trying to figure out which way to have it face. I'm thinking rearward.

I'm working on a graphical image to give you all a better idea. I'll also be posting a new thread about this, as I have to find out how many people will be interested in this. The more, the cheaper!

We're also going to limit the colors, I'm thinking dove gray, black, and that light creamy tan color?? I'll need suggestions !!

Sounds GREAT to me, I mean, really, I like EVERYTHING you said, so go for it, because it seems you have in mind what I did as well!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next Weekend, I'm going to a HUGE Car Show in Dublin Ohio, one where they give out 6 Foot Tall Trophies, so I'll be sure to let others with Verts know about this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said, I LOVE my OEM Boot and will NEVER get rid of it, but sometimes I feel like I need a Trailer just to Haul the thing with me, especially when I'm going to these Shows or gone Camping or something you know...

James C. Gockel
Old 01 Jul 2012, 10:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

I think that if enough people are interested you just might have an order!
I guess I started something with the original request so lets go with it?
My thought on it is make sure that the snap that attaches to the side has two male ends to it as I still want to use my black mesh cover with the original or new boot!

Thx for all the help

RonDee
http://www.autotrucktoys.com/ptcruis...-PRD12710.aspx
This will take you to the site for the black mesh windscreen I have.
Originaly they were made in Vancouver and shipped for approx $150.00 or so.
There is a lot at the Chrysler Depot in the States and hardley any in Canada I found this out from a private source So maybe a price adjustment from a USA dealer just might get some action?
If the link wont work go to Google and check PT cruiser black mesh wind screen

RonDee

Last edited by RonDee; 01 Jul 2012 at 10:15 am.
Old 01 Jul 2012, 03:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDee View Post
I think that if enough people are interested you just might have an order!
I guess I started something with the original request so lets go with it?
My thought on it is make sure that the snap that attaches to the side has two male ends to it as I still want to use my black mesh cover with the original or new boot!

Thx for all the help

RonDee
Mopar OEM Chrysler PT Cruiser Black Mesh Windscreen - AutoTruckToys.com
This will take you to the site for the black mesh windscreen I have.
Originaly they were made in Vancouver and shipped for approx $150.00 or so.
There is a lot at the Chrysler Depot in the States and hardley any in Canada I found this out from a private source So maybe a price adjustment from a USA dealer just might get some action?
If the link wont work go to Google and check PT cruiser black mesh wind screen

RonDee
I've got a rear windscreen too, but it's a double snap on it, so that the factory boot cover can snap on it.

Here's a shot with both installed, this was before my big wreck and installing that wedge style IC, but still the same setup today:
Old 02 Jul 2012, 08:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

It seems everyone but me can get a full size pic of there car on a page?
I am trying to do it now of my 2007 with all the chrome and boot as well as the wind and back seat cover installed.
Hope this works

RonDee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thxmyluv.jpg (99.1 KB, 26 views)
Chromenut likes this.