Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Owner, has to store convertible outside

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2012, 09:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New Owner, has to store convertible outside

Hi, I am a new owner in Australia. I take delivery of our new-to-us 2007 Limited convertible on Monday. My partner and I are both at a stage of life where we want to own a convertible at least once before we die, so it's the mid-life crisis car for sure, but what the heck. I just know we are going to enjoy it and it seemed a good buy, with less than 55k on the clock and immaculate throughout - here's hoping all is well.

Anyway, my firs question: we have a Victorian house in a historic area of Melbourne. This means no garage and no chance of ever keeping the car under cover. Does anyone have any suggestions for me please about how to keep the top in good order given this reality? WOuld be interested in discussion of products to spray on, or covers, or other stuff I haven't thought of. I don't want a cover on it all the time because this sort of advertises: 'house owner not home, robbers welcome'. Anyway, I look forward to enjoying our new car and hope to contribute to this community. Cheers from Australia.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 10:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: New Owner, has to store convertible outside

I have to leave my Convertible outside when we're over at the Lake Cabin. I use a car cover and I also make sure that I've treated the top with a cleaner and protectant.

J

Chrysler 2000-2010 PTCruiser Hard Top Microbead Car Cover | Microbead Car Covers

Convertible Top Care Products. 303 convertible top care and Wolfsteins Raggtopp Products
Old 11 Aug 2012, 10:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

mmm don't agree with your statement about a cover advertising you're not home. Add to it, I have signs on all my windows, doors, and yard all over the place, small and sort of hidden but noticeable when you approach my house, stating that I have a hi-tech alarm system with cellular system backup. Now I won't state whether or not that's true, but I can tell you this - if I were driving down your street, as a thief, and stopped at your house, and saw signs stating you have cameras all around and some kind of hi-tech alarm system, I'd get the hell out of there as quick as possible.

Think logically, or illogically, which ever works - driving down the street staring at houses, oh there's one with lights on, must be the owner's are gone - wait, WTF, no way, there are alarm signs all over the place. Hey, look at their neighbors house, let's hit that one!

I use a cover almost year round. It's called a Cali PopTop. It's really good in the winter for keeping my windows from freezing shut, which means you can't get in your car (windows have to drop 1/2 inch or you can't open the doors). Also all spring because I'm parked in my driveway under trees that have tons of pollen and I hate it getting all over my windows and top.

Here's a few photos of it installed, one of the best and easiest covers I've ever had:

Old 11 Aug 2012, 11:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks to both respondents so far.
Takeiniteasy: any particular protectant and cleaner you prefer?
Chromenut: thanks but we are in Australia, freezing is not a problem and the only people who put those sort of signs all over their houses tend to be drug dealers! Seriously, a full car cover here is a rare sight and does tend to indicate that the owner is away for a long time which is why people don't use them:its a very rare sight. However, the half cover you have recommended most certainly fits the bill, it wouldn't look so much like 'I've gone away' as 'I want to protect my car from bird poo' and is perfect. Now I have to find out if they can send one to Australia. Thank you.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 11:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This is where I bought mine: Car Covers, Car Sun Shades - California PopTop

I do notice, they do ship internationally.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 12:44 am
Young Cruiser

Lyn,

This is what I use, Ragg Topp Convertible Top Fabric Care kit, It has worked well for me, I have a 06 Convertible and the top still looks like new. There are other products that would work as well. Maybe others will post their preference in convertible top care products.

RaggTopp Convertible Top Kits, raggtopp bimini top kits, raggtopp tonneau cover kits

J

Last edited by TakenItEasy; 12 Aug 2012 at 12:48 am.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 06:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for that info folks. I have purchased both items and I pick up the new car tomorrow