Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By Vlefaive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Aug 2012, 01:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Horn broken watch for .... :)

Hello Almighty Members of the PT Links.

I have a horn that quit working on me. I'll do my best to provide as much information as possible to get help; and to let others with similar issues get help.

My PT:
4cyl, manual transmission, convertible, 2005

Symptoms:
Horn was intermittent with an existing P0304 Camshaft positioning sensor code. I fixed the sensor and no more codes! Windows and top wouldn't go down after. I did that trick of leaving the battery disconnected for 10min. and windows are now fixed.

After that, the horn was even more intermittent. On the rare occasions it did work, it would sound very weak. It operated when I lock the car via key-fob anti theft deterrent. It would occasionally honk from the steering column switch.

Ultimately, the horn stopped working.

Fixes so far:
$50 replacement horn. WOLO model 419. I know the red/green is positive and black is negative. No sound. Even so, I tried reversing the wires. WOLO says if it's hooked up wrong, it simply won't sound.

$16 replacement relay. Reversed wires, no sound. Wires back to normal, no sound.
EDIT: old and new relay both made clicking noises. So I believe the relays were in working order.

Now:
So I have a new relay and a new horn. The fuse has also been checked. It was not broken but I replaced it anyway; nice clean contacts. Any ideas why my horn won't sound?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Duffman; 12 Aug 2012 at 01:33 pm.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 02:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Horn broken watch for .... :)

I'll give you a picture of the horn schematic. The only thing you haven't tried is the horn switch in the steering wheel.

Oh Yea, here's your bumper sticker.

mityqwik likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 12 Aug 2012 at 02:21 pm.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 03:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

To hell with the horn, I prefer screaming out the window... good for the soul too
mityqwik likes this.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 03:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, Thought I might have to dig around in the steering column. I'll post results when I do this.

I thought the steering column switch might be ok, as I was hearing the relay click. Also, there might be the possibility of a broken wire. I'll look around for that as well.

The only thing keeping me out of the steering column is fear of setting off the airbag. Do you think it's safe to work in there?
EDIT: I'm doing a lot of 'net searches on 'how to' open that part of the steering wheel. I'm assuming a large flat bladed screwdriver and some prying. I'll keep looking first. I don't want to damage it.

Last edited by Duffman; 12 Aug 2012 at 03:56 pm.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 03:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Read through this posting:

horn problems

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 09:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Problem solved.

This won't help anyone with a similar problem, but my solution was to create an independent circuit with a new horn switch. I mounted my switch to the right of the convertible switch. I should've put it on the left. The module clipped behind it could've been repositioned to the right. oh well. It works now.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I wasn't ready to tear around in the steering column. It didn't have the release points listed in some of the diagrams.