PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
clutch cable or shifter cable? is AAMCO Loco?

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2012, 10:46 pm
Young Cruiser

Default clutch cable or shifter cable? is AAMCO Loco?

Hey guys,
Well the cruiser has about 47k on it now, 5 speed tranny, just bought it at 39k for $8,450 then $1,900 more for this so-called "AMAZING" warranty...
Anyway, while driving today, all the sudden, the shifter wouldnt go into gear, and it just felt like a floppy jalopy; no tension..clutch felt fine...
Messed around with it for ten minutes, finally got it to get into 1st gear, so i limped it home.

Then it started again, so I had it towed to AAMCo..I'm on an island so theres not much to choose from..

Well anything TRANSMISSION related is SUPPOSED to be covered... I KNOW a clutch is supposedly wear and tear, so its not covered..

So the guy calls me from AAMCO and tells me its the SHIFTER cable that snapped, and its not covered under warranty.
I call the warranty company and they say a CLUTCH cable isnt covered, but a SHIFTER cable might be covered...but...
He noticed that the AAMCO guy called and checked to see if it was covered and he used the word CLUTCH cable with the warranty company, but told ME it was a SHIFTER cable...

IS there a difference? if a clutch cable goes, your clutch would go to the floor with no resistance, right? but your car would still go into gear if the car was off, correct?

In my case, the clutch worked great when the car went back into first gear, but it was THE ACTUAL STICK that had no tension and was flopping around like a limp wanker....

Sorry for the long description, just trying to save myself $588 plus tax and towing...
Thanks ALL!!!!!
Old 21 Aug 2012, 11:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: clutch cable or shifter cable? is AAMCO Loco?

There is no such thing as a clutch cable on the PT, it's totally hydraulic. As to the shifter cable, it's more likely that you popped a bushing or the end of a cable snapped off. That's something you can fix pretty easily. I would ask the mech to show you the problem, because they tend to BS their way through these type of issues. I would never take mine to AAmco, not in a million years!

Search for Booger Bushings, google it or go to ptcrew.com. Even if they do replace a shifter cable, which is really not that difficult to do, then I'd suggest you replace your bushings regardless.

When one of mine popped off at the tranny, I was told the same darned thing by a mechanic at the dealership - that the shifter cable had the end popped off and needed replacing. When I asked Jack, the owner of the Dealership, to walk me out into the bay so I could see it, the guy had BS'd his story, the bushing had popped off it's stalk and it took about 30 minutes to fix it and that was only because you had to take the air cleaner out and the tray it sits in out.

Here's what they look like, factory compared to Booger Bushings:

Old 21 Aug 2012, 11:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

I didn't read your post so I'm not going to comment on anything stated there however I would like to say that AAMCO is full of crap with anything they suggest.

Wherever you look, you will find a ton of pissed off customers that continued to have problems after a "transmission rebuild". If you go in complaining about something, if their suggestion isn't to get a transmission rebuilt, they will fix the 1 single issue you have while leaving other issues alone meaning; if it's broke, they'll fix that 1 thing but if something else is breaking or needs replacing they'll just leave it alone until it too breaks and even then you'd have to bring the car back in yourself for them to fix it (if within warranty).
Old 21 Aug 2012, 11:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx9r View Post
I didn't read your post so I'm not going to comment on anything stated there however I would like to say that AAMCO is full of crap with anything they suggest.

Wherever you look, you will find a ton of pissed off customers that continued to have problems after a "transmission rebuild". If you go in complaining about something, if their suggestion isn't to get a transmission rebuilt, they will fix the 1 single issue you have while leaving other issues alone meaning; if it's broke, they'll fix that 1 thing but if something else is breaking or needs replacing they'll just leave it alone until it too breaks and even then you'd have to bring the car back in yourself for them to fix it (if within warranty).
^DITTO^

Our local AAmco closed down two years ago. There were so many complaints with the BBB that the cops started showing up there and warning customers about the liars that worked there. Was insane. Supposedly it's a "corporate" thing, they are trained to try and sell you everything you don't need! I scratched my left front rotor on the inside with a screwdriver, because I wanted to see how much they lied. Took it there to do the front brakes and they charged me for new rotors. I had them put it up on a lift, then pointed at my scratch on the rotor. I called the cops right there and then called the BBB and the town's Mayor. I asked them to get their franchise owner there immediately and told them he should bring an attorney, as mine was on the way.

The guy wouldn't speak to me on the phone, told his employees to send me away and not charge me anything! hahaha lying sacks of shite!

Last edited by Chromenut; 22 Aug 2012 at 04:47 pm.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 12:32 pm
Young Cruiser

funny, so its NOT covered, and it was EXACTLY what you mentioned!!! that smaller bushing was cracked/broken/deteriorated (At less than 50k????) So I paid $588 because they WOULDNT install a "booger bushing"...THey supposedly had to install an entirely new cable bc of what the factory recommends...Supposedly chrysler doesnt sell the bushings alone..you need the whole cable(s)

Needless to say, i kept the old cable(s) (there was two?) so the NEXT time this happens, I WILL BE DOING the work myself!

Thanks again guys!

PS- the shifter DOES feel tighter and crisper though...so it mustve been worn out for a while...
Old 22 Aug 2012, 01:03 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowlerclone View Post
funny, so its NOT covered, and it was EXACTLY what you mentioned!!! that smaller bushing was cracked/broken/deteriorated (At less than 50k????) So I paid $588 because they WOULDNT install a "booger bushing"...THey supposedly had to install an entirely new cable bc of what the factory recommends...Supposedly chrysler doesnt sell the bushings alone..you need the whole cable(s)

Needless to say, i kept the old cable(s) (there was two?) so the NEXT time this happens, I WILL BE DOING the work myself!

Thanks again guys!

PS- the shifter DOES feel tighter and crisper though...so it mustve been worn out for a while...
WOW!!!! spent $588 instead of a $20 / 10 min fix? I guess you got money to burn !!!
Old 22 Aug 2012, 01:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wonder if they are compelled to use chrysler motor oil, batteries and air, too.
XtrmDC2 likes this.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 01:40 pm
Young Cruiser

no, thats the whole thing, I DONT have the money to burn... As I just spent over $11k on the car, taxes registration and the warranty... When it first happened, I made the mistake of ASSUMING it was covered, bc it was the shifter...hence...transmission....hence...one of the MAJOR things that is/should be covered...

well, you live and you learn I guess...just sucks that I basically worked 40 hours to pay for that fix...
Old 22 Aug 2012, 02:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

It's true that Chrysler sells the whole damn cable deal and not just the bushings.... even though the bushings are the most frequent part to fail. No one here should be beating you up because you didn't know the simple fix. The only reason anyone here knows about replacing bushings is because they learned it by hanging out around here (or another Cruiser forum).

As a rule, AMMCO, and other shops like them, don't go to junk yards to get those little $2 parts and they don't care to research the aftermarket fixes for each and every car ever built. I would guess that even a dealer service dept would have burned your butt unless you got lucky and got dealt a mechanic who also happened to be an enthusast.

I hope after your butt unpuckers you enjoy your Cruiser trouble free for many years.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 03:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Spark plugs are $2 and you don't have to go to JY to get them.

Transmission experts should and do know what fixes are available for specific vehicles (transmissions), after all- These are exactly the same bushings used on Neon/Stratus since 1994-

They also have access to aftermarket, and should know what's available.
XtrmDC2 likes this.