Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HA HA!!! No more bunched top for me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Sep 2012, 11:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default HA HA!!! No more bunched top for me

I got my vert used almost a year ago. Ever since then the little elastic straps that keep the top from bunching on the frame when it closes were worn out. I always had to pop each side from behind the frame.

Well today I finally got around to replacing those little straps. It was more of a pain then I thought it would be but it was so worth it. The standard elastic is 3/4" regular elastic and I replaced it with some nice 1" woven that feels much sturdier.

I have some spare elastic so if anyone wants a couple of black straps to replace theirs PM me and we can work something out. Also if anyone has any questions on the process let me know.

Old 01 Sep 2012, 11:28 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: HA HA!!! No more bunched top for me

I would like to see a write up with pics of this procedure. I bought my 05 GT convert last February and my top has done the same.
Old 01 Sep 2012, 11:51 am
Senior Cruiser

pics or it didnt happen
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 01 Sep 2012, 12:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

yes

document with pictures, part # and procedure or your thread isnt much use.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 01 Sep 2012, 02:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I will get some pics later but really they wont be of too much help. Most of the action is in between the two layers of the top which would make pics hard if not impossible. Here is what you will need:

Torx T20 screwdriver
#8 washers
1" Woven Elastic (you can pick whatever kind you like. I went to Jo Ann and they even have colored elastic)
Hot Glue Gun
Scissors
Needle Nose Pliers or extra small screwdriver
Optional - Loctite threadlocker for the screws

For most of the replacement you will want to keep the top at about half open. I found that it was easiest to get to the screw holes that way.

1. Undo the strap screw that you can see when the top is partially open. That is the easy one.

2. Take your hand and feel along the strap to the bar, in between the two top layers, where the other screw is located. While that screw does go through the strap, the strap is actually sewn to the top.

3. Undo that second screw.

4. Cut the old strap as close as you can to the bar. Being very careful not to puncture either layer of the top.

5. Take the new elastic and cut a piece 16" long.

6. Heat up the glue gun and put a couple of small lines of glue on the very end of the strap.

7. Place one of the washers on these small lines of glue being careful not to get glue inside the hole of the washer.

8. After a minute put more glue on the ring of the washer and then fold the elastic over. You should end up with an elastic sandwich that has a washer center.

The original elastic is folded over and sewn for strength. I can't sew and don't have a sewing machine so I came up with the washer idea to reinforce the elastic and make sure that the holes in it are not torn apart by the screws.

9. You should end up at about 15" in length between the two holes of the washers.

10. Take a pair of needle nose pliers or small screwdriver and poke a hole in the elastic through the middle of the washer.

11. This is the tricky step. First attach the end that goes under the roof. You will feel that there are three layers that the screw goes through. A metal bar, the original strap and then the hard plastic headliner piece. It is important to place the new strap between the metal bar and the old strap. Otherwise you can see it poking out slightly between the headliner and the plastic piece. You will have to feel around and figure out how to do this part. It take a little luck and some patience. I recommend hand threading the screw to start and then getting the torx driver. It made things easier for me. You can tell that everything is ok when you can feel the screw poking out of the other end and the strap is secure. Do not fully tighten the screw. It needs to be slightly loose to allow the strap to move a little when the top is opened and closed. Use the thread locker if you are worried about them

12. Thread the new strap under the large elastic that you can see in the roof and then over to the other hole.

13. Screw in the other hole of the strap. Do not fully tighten the screw. It needs to be slightly loose to allow the strap to move a little when the top is opened and closed. Use the thread locker if you are worried about them

14. Obvious step is obvious...repeat for the other side.

That is it everyone. Took me about 2 hours including trips to Home Depot and Jo Ann. Step 11 is the hard one. You will spend the most time getting the new strap lined up with the holes. Just because you can't really see what you are doing. You should be able to see it with a flashlight but I didn't need to.

I will update these instructions with some pictures in a day or two.

Full disclosure that these instructions are not perfect. Others may find that a different length elastic works better or have a better idea to reinforce the ends. If you find that something works slightly better please let me know. All I can say is that it worked for me.