PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Sep 2012, 07:18 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Radiator

I have 2005 PT Cruiser Conv Touring Edition with turbo. Last Thursday i began to have a large vibration noise from radiator fan. The fan had a bad wobble to it. I removed fan to find a loose bolt holding fan onto shaft. I tightened bolt, and reinstalled fan. Everything worked great for 4 days. Now the car over heated today because fan quit spinning all together.

Thoughts are welcome.

did a out of balance fan now quit all together??

Coolant overflow was boiling, fortunately it did not overflow at all and stayed inside reservoir.

Suggestions on issue or just a coicedence
Old 11 Sep 2012, 07:08 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator

replace fan and be done with it
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 11 Sep 2012, 07:56 am
Young Cruiser

I agree, but before i order fan assembly for 150...

How can I confirm the fan really went out this time and it is not a sensor or something electrical??
Old 11 Sep 2012, 08:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If everything is cooled down, start the engine and turn on the A/C. Go to the front and see if the fan is running. It should, every time the compressor is engaged. That, on least mine, is the low speed. Give it 10 minutes at idle nd the high speed fan should come on. You can't miss it. It's very loud and you can hear it above the noise of the engine.

Either that, or get underneath, pull the electrical connector to the fan and hit it with a ground wire and 12V to see if you can get the fan speeds to come on.

You said the "fan quit spinning". Isn't that enough proof that it's not working? You can check the relays in the engine compartment but 99% of the time the relays arefine and it's the fan motor that burnt partially out.
OurPTGT likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Sep 2012, 09:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheffner View Post
I agree, but before i order fan assembly for 150...

How can I confirm the fan really went out this time and it is not a sensor or something electrical??
You should be thankfull it's only $150
My '03 GT fan was made only one year and is not P&P interchangable with other years and can't be found for less than $550-600 new. Used ones are rare.

Do what Crewzin said and hot wire it to see if it spins or not. My guess would be not.
Good luck
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 11 Sep 2012, 09:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheffner View Post
I have 2005 PT Cruiser Conv Touring Edition with turbo. Last Thursday i began to have a large vibration noise from radiator fan. The fan had a bad wobble to it. I removed fan to find a loose bolt holding fan onto shaft. I tightened bolt, and reinstalled fan. Everything worked great for 4 days. Now the car over heated today because fan quit spinning all together.

Thoughts are welcome.

did a out of balance fan now quit all together??
Coolant overflow was boiling, fortunately it did not overflow at all and stayed inside reservoir.

Suggestions on issue or just a coicedence
one big issue with these fans are brushes/contacts that partially wear out either on the low speed or high speed side of the fan motor. Your out of balance issue may have compounded the wear issue all togther
There's a very good thread somewhere on here on how to replace the brushes if you want to try and save some coin.
GL
Old 11 Sep 2012, 11:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurPTGT View Post
You should be thankfull it's only $150
My '03 GT fan was made only one year and is not P&P interchangable with other years and can't be found for less than $550-600 new. Used ones are rare.

Do what Crewzin said and hot wire it to see if it spins or not. My guess would be not.
Good luck
WOW are you saying that all 03 GT Pts have a $550 dollar fan?????? that would not be a good thing to find out after the fan quit
why is it so special????
OurPTGT likes this.
Old 11 Sep 2012, 12:46 pm
Young Cruiser

I pulled the electrical connector off the fan and hit it with a ground wire and 12Volts. It came on fine. So I now know the fan works fine.

What is NEXT???
Old 11 Sep 2012, 12:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

On the connection to the fan, You had three pins. Middle pin to black wire coming out the back of the connection (as you found out) is the ground. The other two (Green and Yellow) are for the high and low side of the fan. Yellow = high side of the fan, Green = low. Did you see both speeds come on?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Sep 2012, 01:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

I didn't read all the good tips and advice above, but..............
there are times when the fan doesn't run with the engine running. Be sure you just didn't happen to notice the fan at rest when that's perfectly normal.