Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Installing Boot ( Top Cover )

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Sep 2012, 07:29 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Installing Boot ( Top Cover )

Just got off the phone with a guy that has a Black Boot Cover for my 05 going to pick it up tomorrow , my question is there any tricks i need to know on installing it is there a write up on it somewhere or would i find it in the manual how to install it??
Old 10 Sep 2012, 10:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Installing Boot ( Top Cover )

Down in my signature block is a link to our technical documents library. Go there and download the '06 owner's manual. On page 127 it starts telling you how to install the boot.

I can tell you that I didn't read that until someone told me my boot was on wrong. I'll be darned if it wasn't on wrong! Read the owner's manual and shucks, nice thing I did because it works so much better now!!!!

Notice the photo, the rear of the boot needs to be tucked under the back lip. That is the trick. Start at the rear, tuck it under, stick the front edge of the boot in the slot on the back seats, then snap the boot sides down. Sometimes you need to do the snaps first so that it fits better.

Old 11 Aug 2013, 11:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Installing Boot ( Top Cover )

HI!

I noticed that you mentioned about your boot cover. Mine does not seem to fit because I don't think it is going down far enough. I understand about getting it under the rear, but it seems that the front (near the rear seat) just isn't big enough.

Do you have a picture of what yours looks like when tucked in behind the rear seat?

Thank you for any help you can give me.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 03:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Installing Boot ( Top Cover )

I figured it out! Actually my neighbor did. When the top was opening up the material was not flipping out- it flopped in instead which added bulk which kept the top from opening all the way into the area above the trunk.

We held the material between the first and second bars out as the top was opening and the whole top unit went right in. The boot now fits perfectly.

I hope this helps others from tearing their hair out.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 07:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: Installing Boot ( Top Cover )

It is reaqlly ver easy.
JUST REMEMBER....never start the top up with the cover installed.
That will pop off and likely damage the rear hatch trim.
Yup! I did that!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 20 Aug 2013, 08:39 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Installing Boot ( Top Cover )

One other trick for installing the boot. Before you begin, raise the top about an inch or two. This gives you a little extra room to tuck the back flap in. This is crucial as it can be virtually impossible to tuck in otherwise.

It also provides a good pinch to hold the boot in place when you lower the top back down all the way. This is also very important as the only other thing holding the boot in place would be the two snaps. I've heard horror stories about the snaps coming loose on the freeway and the boot goes flying.

The boot on the Cruiser is a pain the butt, no denying that. But with a little practice and a few tricks you can get it installed in about a minute.

2005 Dreamcruiser Series 4 Convertible. Deep Lava Red (not the plum color) with matching top. Infinity sound, two tone leather, High Output Turbo

2002 Durango 5.9 R/T. Cherry Red. Full time AWD, Infinity Sound, K&N intake.