PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Burnt valve in 2006 Conv, low mileage - 33K

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2012, 03:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Burnt valve in 2006 Conv, low mileage - 33K

I have a 2006 PT conv with 33K miles and it has had a miss at idle for a while, with Check engine light on. A diagnostic check at the dealer showed valve misfire at #4. They changed the spark plug, no change, changed the spark plug wire, no change. Now they want to take the head off to check for a what they suspect is a burnt valve. Is it just me, or is this a bit ridiculous for an engine with this low a mileage? By the way, the car has been regularly maintained by this shop ever since it was new.
THANKS
Mike

Last edited by mwomack; 13 Sep 2012 at 03:59 pm.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 03:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Burnt valve in 2006 Conv, low mileage - 33K

Anything can happen , no matter what mileage you have but there are other less expensive ways to check.

What are the symptoms of a burnt valve or blown head? - Yahoo! Answers

Burned Exhaust Valve Symptoms | eHow.com

What are the symptoms of a burnt valve and how can I verify it? - Yahoo! Answers

What are symptoms of a burnt valve? - Yahoo! Answers

Burnt valve - U tube

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 06:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwomack View Post
is this a bit ridiculous for an engine with this low a mileage?
There are reports of burnt valves periodically in the '01 & up NA 2.4, and seen one my self on a sedan:

Old 2.4's had a slightly larger exhaust valve, and didn't burn valves, no matter the maintenance or lack thereof.
I suspect Chrysler tried to save some $ and went just a bit too far- the new valve looks light (thin) to me, but as if I'm a valve thickness expert ...
Old 13 Sep 2012, 06:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Funny you brought this up, i just talked with a guy at a local Car Show with a 06 PT GT that was telling me about a problem that he had with his. Took it to the dealer they told him he had a burnt valve charged him $1000 dollars he was there when they started it after they put it back together had the same miss. After they checked it again they found a wire somewhere in engine harness that had rubbed a bare spot said they put shrink wrap and black tape on it fixed the miss but still cost him the $1000.00 ... just something to look for ..
Old 13 Sep 2012, 09:48 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwomack View Post
I have a 2006 PT conv with 33K miles and it has had a miss at idle for a while, with Check engine light on. A diagnostic check at the dealer showed valve misfire at #4. They changed the spark plug, no change, changed the spark plug wire, no change. Now they want to take the head off to check for a what they suspect is a burnt valve. Is it just me, or is this a bit ridiculous for an engine with this low a mileage? By the way, the car has been regularly maintained by this shop ever since it was new.
THANKS
Mike
FIND A NEW DEALER (MECHANIC).

Go to a local parts store that has been around for a long time. Ask them to give you a list of the local mechanics that they would take their car to.

Ask your NEW mechanic to;

1. Check for intake gasket leaks. If this is it, you don't need steps 2 and 3

2. Run a vacuum gauge check on all the cylinders

3. Do leak down test.

None of the above fall into the realm of rocket science and should be the normal first steps in diagnosing a misfire by any even half/competent shop (mechanic). It's automobile mechanics 101.

Please click below.

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vacuum gauge diagnostics.jpg (93.1 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by wwpptc; 13 Sep 2012 at 09:53 pm.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 04:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
Funny you brought this up, i just talked with a guy at a local Car Show with a 06 PT GT that was telling me about a problem that he had with his. Took it to the dealer they told him he had a burnt valve charged him $1000 dollars he was there when they started it after they put it back together had the same miss. After they checked it again they found a wire somewhere in engine harness that had rubbed a bare spot said they put shrink wrap and black tape on it fixed the miss but still cost him the $1000.00 ... just something to look for ..
Rich, That's a scary thought to go through the 'big dollar' process and then find that it was only a 'penny item'... however, my repair guys said they already ruled out the potential bad spark plug and wire. They relocated the spark plug first from where the miss was, but the miss did not follow the plug. The same results happened when they moved the potential bad wire - the miss did not follow the wire. So now they are removing the manifold to check the valves. And you are correct, they quoted me $1000.00 for 10 hrs labor (remove and install). Thanks for the feedback! Mike
Old 14 Sep 2012, 04:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
There are reports of burnt valves periodically in the '01 & up NA 2.4, and seen one my self on a sedan:

Old 2.4's had a slightly larger exhaust valve, and didn't burn valves, no matter the maintenance or lack thereof.
I suspect Chrysler tried to save some $ and went just a bit too far- the new valve looks light (thin) to me, but as if I'm a valve thickness expert ...
Uptown Sport... Thanks for the feedback and for illustrating the issue so well with the photo. Much appreciated! Mike
Old 14 Sep 2012, 05:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

NP-

easiest way is a compression check- It'd be about ZERO

WW is right on- Those old timers reach for a vacuum gauge before a scan tool!

GT, I would guess, shouldn't have this problem- Eventhough everythings EXACTLY the same- they use a higher quality valve on turbo engines.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 12:19 pm
Young Cruiser

From what the guy was telling me about his it wasn`t a bad spark plug wire it was actually a rubbed spot in an electrical wire somewhere under the hood not sure where but he said this fixed his. Good luck with yours and keep us posted.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 11:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That's just pure craziness. I had a reputable dealer tell me that my #6 exhaust valve was shot and that I should "junk my car" (which is a 1996 Intrepid with 80,000 miles). I didn't trust his opinion because I had just taken old sparks plugs out of it and #6 plug looked great. And they were very old plugs. So then I compression tested it. It tested perfectly. I eventually replaced the ignition coil pack and the car has been perfect ever since. I had the same problem as you and the dealer told me the same thing. They wanted $1200 to do the job, but advised me to "junk the car". It literally runs perfect now. Please dont listen to these A-holes (the shady salesmen dealer garage people)!

We also have a 2003 PT. I just had the same exact diagnosis on my Intrepid from a "reputable" Chrysler mechanic

Tags
burnt valve, header, low mileage