Advertisements
Kudos to Turbos Unleashed!!!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 77CJ5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Oct 2012, 07:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Kudos to Turbos Unleashed!!!

Newbie here. I joined this forum in order to tell everyone about the great service they provided to me.

Recently my wife's 2005 PT Cruiser Touring editions convertible with a turbo started to smoke very badly. I was convinced that the turbo seals were shot and I would need to replace the turbo. I got on this site and searched the subject and found that several people had recommended Turbos Unleashed....so I gave them a call. I spoke with Chris. After listening to me for a few minutes he asked me to pull the air pipe/tube off the intake side of the turbo and check the veins and shaft play. He also asked that I check the PCV valve to make sure it is functioning properly. So I hung up and checked the turbo. I found that the veins were undamaged and I could not detect any shaft play. I moved on to the PCV valve.
I searched this site to find the location of the PCV valve. There were several people correctly posting the location of the PCV valve. I found it and examined it. There were people on this site that commented that the PCV valve was basically an elbow fitting with no internal workings. So when I examined the PCV valve this was consistent with what I was found on my wife's car. I called Chris back and talked to him about my findings. He told me that the PCV valve must have a check valve in it. I told him what I had read on this site. He suggested that I go to the dealer and talk to them about the PCV valve.

I went to the service department at the local Chrysler dealer. At first they told me basically the same thing as this site, that the working part of the PCV valve is built in to the valve cover. So I asked them the cost of the PCV valve. They told me $11 and change. I tried to purchase it. They brought me a device that did not look like anything on the PT, so I told them this part was incorrect. They went back and brought me a PCV valve that looked exactly like the one I had removed from the PT, except it had a check valve built into it. Upon closer inspection of the PCV valve that I had removed from the PT I determined that the check ball and retainer had been blown out and are now under my valve cover on top of the head.

I replaced the PCV valve with the new PCV valve and my smoking problem ended immediately.

I am convinced had I taken my car to the Chrysler dealer I would be facing several thousand dollars in repair bills. When originally talked to them they told me that they rarely see a PT Cruiser with a PCV valve problem, that it is usually the turbo seals that go bad.

Long story short...KUDOS to Turbos Unleashed. They saved me a lot of money. If I ever need to replace the turbo they will be my supplier.

Second, a PCV valve that looks like a elbow fitting is defective as it is no longer a valve.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 20 Oct 2012, 10:03 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Kudos to Turbos Unleashed!!!

Good story. The PCV valve is actually a "regular maintenence" item and not a "life of the car" item. It needs to be checked/cleaned every year at least and changing it is even a better idea. Fortunately, it's easy to get to and service.