Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
rollbar removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2013, 08:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default rollbar removal

ive been looking for a vert that fits my requirements , and will hopefully be doing some mods once acquired. after poking around yahoo searching images of customized pt's , one pic jumped out at me which hit every button on "my look". however , it involes removal of the rollbar. is this something that requires major surgery , or is it a bolt removal op. also once removed, is there a kit that finishes the trim in its place? i notice a few folks have done this. also does it seriously compromize the structure and possibly affect top operation and door closings? - thanks one more thing... the nice level stance in this pic , is it achieved just with a set of lowering springs? do they compensate for the rake?
Old 10 Jan 2013, 09:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: rollbar removal

I'm pretty sure it's part of the structural integrity of the convertible models. However, there should be a way (like in the convertible Corvettes) to strengthen the frame by a "X" member which pulls everything together and yes, most lowering springs come with a lower drop in the rear which levels the PT out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 09:13 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: rollbar removal

I am not a fan of verts, but it does look better without the rollbar
Old 10 Jan 2013, 09:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Chrysler did a concept a few years back and did away with the bar but then again, they put a Viper engine in a pick-up type PT so they have the tools and resources to do most anything.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 10:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks. it would be great if there was a "conversion kit" or something that included any additional strengtheners and some trim pieces..... since that bar is mainly a torsional member and not longitudinal , i wonder if just a subframe brace made simply out of welded steel would do the trick. i have to look at it more once i actually get a car in my posession.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 03:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by domer94 View Post
ive been looking for a vert that fits my requirements , and will hopefully be doing some mods once acquired. after poking around yahoo searching images of customized pt's , one pic jumped out at me which hit every button on "my look". however , it involes removal of the rollbar. is this something that requires major surgery , or is it a bolt removal op. also once removed, is there a kit that finishes the trim in its place? i notice a few folks have done this. also does it seriously compromize the structure and possibly affect top operation and door closings? - thanks one more thing... the nice level stance in this pic , is it achieved just with a set of lowering springs? do they compensate for the rake?
I read somewhere that the "sport bar" is not a structural element, just there for controlling airflow for rear seat occupants. The car in the picture belongs to a guy in NC named Shane. Very clean car. He said there are some bolts to be removed as well as grinding some welds away to get the bar off. Then you have to fab up a way to fill in the hole left in the interior panels. Not sure how he did that.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 06:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks man , that sounds not too bad and im hoping your right about the sport bar not being structural. i was thinking i would have to weld up a small plate to mount the seatbelt anchor to. what most concerned me was that any flex may affect the door gaps / closing function if the quarter panels are not tied together from the tops. if anybody has looked under the car, can they comment on if there is room to weld or bolt in a subframe connector without interfereing with exhaust? that may compensate.