Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help with PT ragtop rear speakers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jan 2013, 10:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help with PT ragtop rear speakers

I saw the recent posts about the grief gone through with speakers and a 06', but I also remember hearing that the design changed somewhat after 2005 so here goes.....

I have a 2005 PT, convertible with a tricked out/custom stereo. Both front and rear speakers have been upgraded at a shop as well as a pretty nice amp and sub box which takes up 70% of the trunk.

Recently, the drivers side BACK speaker started buzzing - in my opinion is blown and needs replacement.

I called Crutchfield about getting directed to a diagram to no avail and now am in bit of a pinch. Does anyone have a link to a youtube video or a diagram how to remove the backseat inside panel / drivers side. OR if a major hassle maybe letting a shop or geek squad would be in order. One thing Crutchfield DID say is it looked like a rather lengthy (time) operation which also might also mean its a huge pain in the A$$. Any opinions, walkthroughs, or help of any nature would be appreciated - thx
Old 01 Feb 2013, 01:06 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Help with PT ragtop rear speakers

I'm a newbie to an 05 gt vert also, and I was able to complete this. You'll need a "torx" bit to remove seat belts( I got one at local auto parts). Also metric sockets, short extension, and Phillips screw driver. I also had short flat pry bar to put between body and side panels to make sure nothing was breaking as I pulled the nylon inserts apart. The real pia was pulling the trim away from wind deflector to allow room for side panels to come out. There's two hidden bolts over the top panel over rear seat that you can get to with short extension. My first side took over an hour, second about thirty minutes.

Hope this helps. Let us know how 'fun' this was. Also a battery powered torque driver is great for those seat belt bolts.
1998 Dolphin 36' motor home
1949 Piper Clipper taildragger
Old 01 Feb 2013, 05:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Help with PT ragtop rear speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicguyinla View Post
I saw the recent posts about the grief gone through with speakers and a 06', but I also remember hearing that the design changed somewhat after 2005 so here goes.....

I have a 2005 PT, convertible with a tricked out/custom stereo. Both front and rear speakers have been upgraded at a shop as well as a pretty nice amp and sub box which takes up 70% of the trunk.

Recently, the drivers side BACK speaker started buzzing - in my opinion is blown and needs replacement.

I called Crutchfield about getting directed to a diagram to no avail and now am in bit of a pinch. Does anyone have a car dvd players link to a youtube video or a diagram how to remove the backseat inside panel / drivers side. OR if a major hassle maybe letting a shop or geek squad would be in order. One thing Crutchfield DID say is it looked like a rather lengthy (time) operation which also might also mean its a huge pain in the A$$. Any opinions, walkthroughs, or help of any nature would be appreciated - thx
if you need affordable speakers, try sites like eBay. There deals are fair with prices

Last edited by Angsust; 02 Feb 2013 at 01:28 am.