Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A few ????? about adding OEM foglight to my 2005 PT Cruiser Conv. Base

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Apr 2013, 09:23 pm
Young Cruiser

Default A few ????? about adding OEM foglight to my 2005 PT Cruiser Conv. Base

I'm adding aftermarket made replica OEM lights to my 2005 PT Cruiser Conv. base. I took off the filler caps and they were held on by 4 metal clips. When I install the lights do I need to use the 4 metal clips from the filler covers on them or will they just snap into place? Also How hard is it to change out the multifunction switch? Can someone post a pic of a OEM fog light installed showing the back of the light? Thanks,any help is appreciated.
Old 19 Apr 2013, 05:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: A few ????? about adding OEM foglight to my 2005 PT Cruiser Conv. Base

Here is the instructions for the factory kit install. The amount of work to be done will depend if you have the factory wiring in place or not. If you don't then you will have to add the wiring harness to be able to use the factory MFS.

http://www.moparsupercenter.com/pdfs/82205451.pdf
Old 19 Apr 2013, 09:20 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: A few ????? about adding OEM foglight to my 2005 PT Cruiser Conv. Base

Thanks! This is exactly what I was hoping someone would post! My car has the wires behind the blanks so hopefully everything else is there. If not I do have an extra wiring harness that will work with the 9006 bulbs in these lights. Thanks again!
Old 19 Apr 2013, 06:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

If your Cruiser did not come with factory fogs you will need to make a trip to the dealer to have the PCM re-programed to operate the new fogs. When I added fogs I was having some routine service (oil, etc.) done at that time. I told the dealer service rep that if he wanted my business, he needed to do the PCM flash at no cost to me. Otherwise they will try and charge you, maybe for one hour of "labor" even though it takes them 5 minutes. I'm just giving you a heads up so you won't freak if or when the new fogs don't activate.
Old 20 Apr 2013, 12:30 pm
Young Cruiser

I have seen several posts on here that some people did not have to do that on their cars that were 2003 & up. They changed it out and the lights worked without having to go to the dealer. I'll find out when I install my new headlight/fog stalk. Thanks
Old 21 Apr 2013, 08:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to PrestonF451 Send a message via Yahoo to PrestonF451 Send a message via Skype™ to PrestonF451
Cool Re: A few ????? about adding OEM foglight to my 2005 PT Cruiser Conv. Base

I have been thinking of adding fog lights that looking at installing fog lights onto the bumper, as the are on some cars that where built in the late 30's and early 40's with similar styling to a PT Cruiser. Has anyone done that?
Old 21 Apr 2013, 03:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Curious that you should ask; I am adding vintage look 4-inch diameter amber fog lights at this time.
I have finished the preliminary wiring and changed my console-mounted vintage fog-light switch from the OEM fog (will become day-time driving) light circuit to the soon to be installed amber fog light circuit.

The fogs will be below the bumper between the lower grille and the fascia air scoop. I am mounting them there because the chrome full bumper cover I installed, already has holes there (I drilled the plastic bumper below), and has the needed clearance between bumper and bumper cover for the mounting base. One might find lights with bases that require only screws and not nut & bolt.

The PDC work was posted here:
PDC modification primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonF451 View Post
I have been thinking of adding fog lights that looking at installing fog lights onto the bumper, as the are on some cars that where built in the late 30's and early 40's with similar styling to a PT Cruiser. Has anyone done that?
Old 21 Apr 2013, 05:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kda66 View Post
I have seen several posts on here that some people did not have to do that on their cars that were 2003 & up. They changed it out and the lights worked without having to go to the dealer. I'll find out when I install my new headlight/fog stalk. Thanks
I have read the same thing. I know on the 06 and up's you have no choice. It's even in the instructions to go to the dealer and have them activated.
Old 23 Apr 2013, 08:24 pm
Young Cruiser

UPDATE: I changed the headlight multifunction switch to one with fogs and BAM!!! I have working factory fog lights! I did NOT have to take the car to the dealer to have them turn on the fogs in the PCM either! Just added the fog lamps and the multi function switch and it all worked as if it came from the factory.
Old 08 May 2013, 12:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Also have a 2005 base convert that I am adding factory fog lamps to. picked up fog lamps and MFS from local salvage yard for under $40.

all the factory wiring is there, so it was just plug and play. 10 minutes and I have two fog lamps illuminating the garage.

problem is I am already on the second switch. fog lamps stay on unless you hold the end of the MFS in. granted, this is a used switch from the salvage yard, and it is the second switch with the same problem.

is this a common failure method and I have been lucky to get two bum switches, or did I overlook something obvious.