Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05 pt convertible slowing and stalling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 May 2013, 01:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 05 pt convertible slowing and stalling

Hi, Im new to this forum and was wondering if anyone here has had similar problems with thier pt cruiser. Ive had mine since Oct '12 , its a 2005 turbo pt cruiser convertible, automatic. It had been running really well up until St. Patricks day when the engine light popped up an it slowed down while I was driving and then just stalled. The engine and everything electrical stayed on but when I stepped on the gas it wouldnt move. After letting it sit for a couple of minutes it drove like normal but the engine light stayed on.

By the next day the engine light was gone. And it drove normally...up until 3wks ago when the engine light popped back on and it started jerking and slowing and stalling all the time! It was super scary! My mechanic has been trying to figure out whats been causing this problem because everything seems fine. Other than the O2 sensors keep popping up. He also thinks it might be a glitch in the computer. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this same problem and how they dealt with it. Because I was told its best to just fix it and then try to sell it and get a more reliable car. I love my car and dont want to sell it, but Im kind of scared once its fixed it might start stalling again because he said putting in a new computer might not get rid of the problem for good. :-(
Old 01 May 2013, 09:36 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 05 pt convertible slowing and stalling

I'm new here but I'll try my best here.

To me, it sounds like a bad fuel pump. I just had a GMC Jimmy do the same thing to me. The wife said she'd be driving along and the thing would just cut out. She'd let it sit for a little while and it'd start right up again.

Check engine light would pop on for a bit too, and then clear out once it was driven for a day or two.

As far as a mechanic telling you to get a more reliable car... that seems very counter-intuitive for his business, unless he had a car lot out front too.

When I was a mechanic, that would've been the first thing I checked... is it getting fuel?, is it getting spark?, is it getting air?, what codes is it throwing? The fuel pump issue can be intermittent so it's hard to diagnose sometimes. A swift kick to the Jimmy's tank got it going again, that's the only reason I figured out that that was the problem. I heard the pump kick back on. After that, I just told the wife to try and keep it above a quarter-tank so the pump stays cool in the gasoline.

Last edited by VanillaVert; 01 May 2013 at 09:39 am.
Old 01 May 2013, 02:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'd go w vanillavert as fuel pump as a good possibility. Let us know as it helps others later on.
1998 Dolphin 36' motor home
1949 Piper Clipper taildragger
Old 01 May 2013, 06:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank You VanillaVert and ChriscoKid! :-) Ill definitely ask my mechanic if he checked the fuel pump. Ill update when I get new info! Hopefully that will fix the problem. Thanks again! :-)
Old 01 May 2013, 06:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Do you know how to check the codes via key dance?

If you bring to a dealer they can check the code which shoul be stored since the CEL light came on.

Could be a cam sensor.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 08 May 2013, 01:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: 05 pt convertible slowing and stalling

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNT View Post
Do you know how to check the codes via key dance?

If you bring to a dealer they can check the code which shoul be stored since the CEL light came on.

Could be a cam sensor.

I dont know how to do that but my mechanic does. Hes my friends husband so I trust him. Anyway, each time its always a different code coming up. Hes checked everything that the codes brought up and everything seems good. He replaced the O2sensors and the cam sensor. Fuel pump is good etc.. Catalytic converter is good. Everything seems fine. It ran well for the past 2days but today on my way home from the store it slowed down again. Couldnt get it past 20mph. :-( So hes gonna try to reset the computer and see if that works. Hope it does because I really dont want to have to buy a new computer..
Old 08 May 2013, 02:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

IAC Valve going bad or dirty?... Speed sensor?... anyone?

Hope he gets it figured out for you!
Old 08 May 2013, 04:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaVert View Post
IAC Valve going bad or dirty?... Speed sensor?... anyone?

Hope he gets it figured out for you!

Thank you for your suggestions and advice! Ill ask him to check those things. Hopefully itll be one of those things because then it can be fixed already. Sooo frustrating when you cant figure out whats wrong because everything seems to work well. :-\

Plus its been perfect convertible driving weather lately! Ugh.. I miss it ..

Last edited by Stacy23; 08 May 2013 at 04:30 pm.
Old 16 May 2013, 05:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

*UPDATE*

So had my car checked by another mechanic this week. Again random codes kept popping up. Mechanic checked everything. Again everything was in perfect condition...So the mechanic would take off the engine light and my car would run really well for a couple of of miles until it felt the urge to act up again. I looked up the symptoms online and came up with the throttle position sensor (tps). It had the exact symptoms! Bucking and jerking; hesitation while trying to accelerate and stalling. The mechanic checked the tps which we both thought could be it but nope, that part was good. And again random codes started popping up. He told everything was checked and good and it IS the computer. Its shorting and causing problems with my car. :-\ Sux. But as long as it works great once I get the computer Ill be happy! :-) I just want it be driveable again.
Old 16 May 2013, 08:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Please let us know the codes. I had some battery codes with engine missing.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.

Tags
convertible, o2sensor, slowing, stalling, turbo gt convertible