Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Just noticed my cooling fan isn't working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 May 2013, 04:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Question Just noticed my cooling fan isn't working

I just noticed my cooling fan wasn't working on my 2005 PT Conv. base 5 speed when I turn on the A/C. I'm going to replace the low speed fan sensor and I was checking the fuses in the under hood fuse box to see if any were blown and I pulled the low speed fan relay and noticed it has a high speed fan relay in it instead of a low speed relay. Will it hurt to have this relay in it? What would be the reason for it to have the wrong relay in it? Thanks

Last edited by kda66; 12 May 2013 at 05:25 pm.
Old 12 May 2013, 05:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Just noticed my cooling fan isn't working

If you notice on the wiring diagram below the high and low speed fan relays are the same. Apparently someone before you noticed the low speed wasn't working and maybe switched relays to see if that was the problem.

Almost all the time, the problem isn't the relays or the temperature sensor or anything else except the burnt out bushes inside the motor itself. You'll probably end up changing out the fan and housing. They are about $100 at parts stores ($300 at the dealer) and you can put the new one in, in about 2 hours.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 May 2013, 06:21 pm
Young Cruiser

I just checked my local Auto Zone $159.00 and Advance Auto Parts $169.00 and looked on RockAuto and its $77.00 for the same exact fan! Not sure how everyone is getting them for about $100.00 at local auto parts stores when you can see they are well above that at my local auto parts stores. I'll just order it from Rock Auto and get it for about $86.00 shipped to me Thanks for the info!

Last edited by kda66; 12 May 2013 at 06:48 pm.
Old 12 May 2013, 06:47 pm
Young Cruiser

Just placed my order for a NEW Dorman fan unit from Rock Auto. $86.81 shipped! Should be here sometime this week. Wish me luck that this is the problem!

Last edited by kda66; 12 May 2013 at 10:11 pm.
Old 12 May 2013, 07:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am in the process of replacing my radiator fan on my 05. I also need to replace the connector on the car side of the fan. I have not been able to locate one online Does anyone know where to get one?
Old 12 May 2013, 07:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kda66 View Post
Just placed my order for a NEW Dorman fan unit form Rock Auto. $86.81 shipped! Should be here sometime this week. Wish me luck that this is the problem!
You can test the fan itself....

Replaced Radiator Fan Assembly - Still no fan movement

SpringHillCruiser,

If you can't get a universal 3-wire connector to work, you might want to stop by LKQ Used Car parts up here in Lecanto on CR486 and pick up a used wiring harness for a PT Cruiser radiator fan. That's of course if your Spring Hill is the same as the one here in Hernando County Florida.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 12 May 2013 at 07:20 pm.
Old 12 May 2013, 07:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info. Yes I am in Hernando county FL.
Old 13 May 2013, 03:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just had to do this on my 01, at the same time I had to replace the radiator on my 06 Liberty. Two cars overheating, w/o AC in Phoenix, not a good idea. Thankfully have Service Contract's on both.

Oogway - Aquamarine 2001 PT Cruiser Limited
Alpine iDA-X200 DMR headunit w/ Sirius Satellite Radio
Old 15 May 2013, 11:23 pm
Young Cruiser

I installed the NEW cooling fan and that solved the fan not working problem!
Old 19 May 2013, 11:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My PT has 197,000 and she's due for either a breakdown or maintenance and I'd rather not get stuck on the road broke down. I think I'll let a reputable shop do the work. I will however buy all the parts necessary. Because the water pump needs to be removed anyway it makes complete sense to do that now also. I do have a problem in my ECM I would like to address as well, the electric fan is not working properly. The temp sensor is fine and the signal from the A/C head unit is fine. The fan has been replaced, the thermostat has been replaced, radiator has been replaced, coolant flushed and refilled with correct fluid and bled correctly. Fuse under dash for relay control is good. Fuse behind battery to supply relays with power to send to fan is good. Both high & Low speed fan relays are good. There just is no signal ground coming out of the ECM to energize the relays to run the fan at either speed. I have cleared the fault codes, reset the battery and still no signals from the ECM to make the relays kick and fan turn on. At present I have run a ground wire to supply the ground signal to the Low Speed relay and the fan runs at low speed when the vehicle is on and goes off with the key off. Temporary but works until I can find a suitable donor ECM to replace my defective one. Has anyone else had this much problems with the radiator fan?