PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Convertible Leaks Water into Rear When Raining - Anyone see this before?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 May 2013, 08:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Convertible Leaks Water into Rear When Raining - Anyone see this before?

Well, the dealer was no help at all.

First, they wouldn't even look at the car because they don't diagnose/fix leaks. The dealer has a 3rd party company that comes in on only Mondays and Fridays to look at cars with leaks. And it was Saturday. It sure would have been nice if they mentioned that on the phone when they booked our appointment for a leak issue on a Saturday morning. That was problem #1.

Then they informed us that there would be a $120 diagnostic fee for the leak company to look at the car and diagnose the leak. And then there would be another $120 diagnostic fee from the dealer to look at why the top is not opening any longer (will close, but not open). So that's $240 for them to do nothing other than look at the car. The leak and the top opening issue are considered two separate diagnostic visits since the leak is under the leak company and the top opening is handled by the dealer. Yes, even if we do them both on the same day. AND, that could go higher if they need more time to diagnose the problems. Of course they would call us at that point (gee thanks, for nothing), but then we could end up pulling the plug to stop the bleeding and wind up paying $240 and still not know what's wrong!

So off we went with the car untouched and our money still in our pockets. Of course, this led to a stop at other dealerships on the way home and looks like it will mean a new car purchase. Woohoo!

Sorry I couldn't help out more with this, but it's a start. That's all I've got.
Old 27 May 2013, 02:13 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Convertible Leaks Water into Rear When Raining - Anyone see this before?

Did you try disconnecting the battery for the top opening problem.
The PT sometimes has glitches with the top and windows going up and down.
Sometimes just a reset of the of the PCM by removing the negative cable for a few minutes will clear the problem. I have not noticed the leaking issue on my car but now I will be checking periodically, hope you get yours fixed.
K & N Drop In, MSD 8.5 MM Wires, Hood Scoops, MOPAR Rear Spoiler, Aeroforce Interceptor Dual Scan Gauge, MOPAR Stage 1 Upgrade, AMX Intake Pipe, 225/50/16 Cooper Zeon RS3-A Tires on MB 16 X 7 Alpina Rims with MOPAR logo, Power Slot Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Air Box Oil Catch Can, GTS Head Light Covers, Cover Craft Front End Mask. "Coming Soon" AMX Intercooler Pipes, B Woody Mounts, Strut Bar, MOPAR Ground Effects Kit, Gold Line 2" Lowering Springs, KYB G2 Struts & Shocks, GT Instrument Cluster, Auto Stick Conversion
My Other Rides:
1971 Plymouth Roadrunner 340 Auto Sassy Grass Green Numbers Matching with Air Grabber
2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4 4.7L Auto Flame Red Stage 1 Jet Performance Chip, K & N
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition 4X4 4.0L Auto Inferno Red
Old 27 May 2013, 12:08 pm
Young Cruiser

I'm here as a PT sedan owner but I've got a little experience with the Sebring convertibles and way too much time trying to solve a leak on my 99 Sebring.

I'd like to offer these suggestions.

1. Don't even bother with a dealer for top-related issues. As a member of sebringclub.net which focuses on the convertibles since 96, we've found there are no technicians trained at the dealership and nearly every one has had their car turned over to a third party for repair. Find out from the dealer who they use and go directly there. Do not pass go.

2. These tops probably have a hydraulic lift system. The symptom of the motor running but the top not lifting while it comes down readily (by gravity) indicates the top pump reservoir is low on fluid. I suspect the PT's are the same as the 1st and 2nd gen Sebrings in that they will probably require a Dexron type ATF fluid for this pump (this is the ONLY place you'll want to use this fluid. ). It will probably be worth the effort to locate the pump and the reservoir should be part of it. It won't take much, but remember if it's losing fluid, it's probably leaking somewhere and will require removing the rear inner quarter panels to inspect the lift cylinders.

3. IF all else fails, it may be worth while for someone to puzzle through a bulkhead drain similar to what the Sebring uses. As I've got a hardtop I can only suggest this with the knowledge that it may not install properly. It's gonna have to be thought about. The Sebring has a "J" shaped tray about an inch to an inch and a half deep attached (welded/glued) to the rear bulkhead below the tack strip. This collects and diverts the water along the bulkhead and opens onto the fronts of the rear wheel wells. So long as the fabric to glass seal on the Sebrings hold, this setup works beautifully.

I do have a vested interest in a good answer to this problem and hope that someone will pursue it. You see, I'm indirectly responsible for two PT convertibles. Both my brother-in-law and sister-in-law have one each.
HawaiiBaby likes this.
Old 23 Dec 2016, 09:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

@Black06Vert Did you ever get this fixed? I'm having the same exact problem. How did you get that black trim piece off to check?

Last edited by simplyrob; 23 Dec 2016 at 09:49 pm. Reason: Spelling error
Old 09 Oct 2017, 07:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Came home from vacation to find trunk wet from rain and wet dog smell in the car. Just purchased 3 weeks ago. Was hoping someone had found a solution to this issue. Any help is appreciated. This is my second '05 GT convertible and I never had a leak in the first one and it had 214K miles on it.

Thanks!
Old 09 Oct 2017, 09:11 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownGirl View Post
Came home from vacation to find trunk wet from rain and wet dog smell in the car. Just purchased 3 weeks ago. Was hoping someone had found a solution to this issue. Any help is appreciated. This is my second '05 GT convertible and I never had a leak in the first one and it had 214K miles on it.

Thanks!
I'm not sure where your leak in the back originates from but I had one just above where the trunk closed as a result of the plastic weather stripping failing(brittle/cracking). My quick cheap and successful fix was self adhesive weather stripping that I got from autozone.

Check out this post on the forum. I hope this helps
weatherstrip for 2005 convertible deck lid

2008 Convertible Turbo -lite
2007 Touring N/A Boneyard
Old 09 Oct 2017, 04:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks! I took a ton of pics of my situation around the rear end. I do believe I am missing some exterior weather stripping around the cloth top. The trunk seal is old but given how deep the water was in the trunk I dont think its coming from that old seal at the trunk lid. I think its coming from the back window / side areas.

How does one dry out a wet trunk? Its smelling funky!
Old 11 Oct 2017, 08:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have pictures but cant seem to figure out how to upload them. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thx!