PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Convertible Leaks Water into Rear When Raining - Anyone see this before?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 May 2013, 08:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Post Convertible Leaks Water into Rear When Raining - Anyone see this before?

Hi,

The short story is our 2006 convertible is leaking like a sieve. Can anyone help?

The long story is.... Our 2006 convertible has begun taking on water when it rains or when washing the car. I pulled out the rear seats, rear carpet, and trunk carpet (all the backing was 100% soaked, starting to smell, and there was a pond in both rear seat footwells). The front carpets are bone dry. With the rear carpets out I soaked the car with the hose and very quickly found that the water is coming in below the rear window (not from the window, but at the base of the convertible top), the water is then pooling on the fabric covered interior trim piece below the rear window (above the trunk) and then from there dripping down into the trunk and off to the rest of the car along the frame anywhere it can find a clear path. Within two minutes there was a pond starting in the rear footwells.

Has anyone seen this before? I looked for a drain back there at the base of the top but didn't have any luck. Is there even a drain under the top behind the rear window? I'm new to convertibles and am not sure how to remove the trim to get a closer look so I'm being on the cautious side as one mistake can mean an expensive parts call to the dealer!

Any help would be great.

Btw, I searched online and this forum quite a bit for answers and didn't find anything so I'm hoping someone has seen this before.

Thanks!
Old 14 May 2013, 01:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Convertible Leaks Water into Rear When Raining - Anyone see this before?

Sounds like you have blocked drainage tubes and it causing a back up of water. Check your drain tubes located in front of the rear wheels I believe that's where they are.
Old 15 May 2013, 01:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Convertible Leaks Water into Rear When Raining - Anyone see this before?

kda66 - Thanks, I'm planning to do more hunting as soon as the rain lets up again. Next step is to remove the rear wheel well plastic liners and see what I can find. I'll also give another look up topside with the top partially open to see if there is anything that I can find.
Old 15 May 2013, 06:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm having a similar problem with mine, same year too. Leaking into the trunk. Literally all my items in the trunk were wet in the last rainstorm. So I've got to find out what the heck is causing it and quick.
Old 21 May 2013, 07:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Convertible Leaks Water into Rear When Raining - Anyone see this before?

Chromenut, and anyone else who might stumble across this thread with this same issue....perhaps this will help....

I did some investigating and have found that on our PT the weatherstripping below the rear window at the base of the rear of the convertible top is failing. From opening and closing the top over the years the weatherstripping is now separating in the center section and actually coming off of the top. With no seal at the rear and no continuous water channel anymore the water is just spilling over the weatherstripping and into the car. With the top up this weatherstripping is supposed to create a gentle seal between the top and the rear trim piece just above the trunk lid. More importantly the weatherstripping is the water channel that directs and guides the water to the sides of the car and then dumps it down the frame and ultimately out the wheel well and/or lower rocker panel drains. But now with the seal sitting lower in the center because it's coming off, we have a pond and ultimately a rain storm into the car. I tried to pull the seal back up into place but had no luck. It's also starting to separate and is torn so it's time to replace. I've attached a few pictures below to help show what I'm talking about as pictures are worth a thousand words, and I just can't type that much here. Note that the pictures are taken with the trim piece above the trunk removed, otherwise you can't see anything.

I have no idea what the cost to fix this will be, but we're planning on dropping by the dealer for an estimate. I'd rather not mess with the top and would like to leave that to the pro's.

And now just to add to this, yesterday the top decided that it no longer wanted to open. It just hums a little and doesn't budge. It can be opened manually no problem and will close perfectly. Hit button, top goes up. But down....no dice. Oh well, off to the dealer for an estimate on not one but two problems now.

Finally, the pictures!

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg
Busted_PT and kda66 like this.

Last edited by 06BlackVert; 21 May 2013 at 07:52 am.
Old 21 May 2013, 06:07 pm
Young Cruiser

WOW! You would think they would have designed it so that if this failed that the rest of the car would not fill with water! That sucks! I hate to say this but I predict it will be costly to repair.
Old 21 May 2013, 06:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I agree, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not too bad. I couldn't even find the weatherstripping separate from the top though so it may not be good.
Old 21 May 2013, 08:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

I believe every convertible I have owned previous to the PT was made to get wet behind the back seat with a big full width rubber liner that routed water to drains by the rear wheels through tubes.

The PT is obviously different, the package shelf is not a rubber dam, so instead there is the drain trough (rubber molding) which routes the water around the sides from the back to a point where it can go down and out.

This looks like it could be a real problem for us eventually, unless there is some simple replacement for the molding without replacing the entire top, or someone can come up with a jury rig type of split hose or external (undermount) drain channel to mount under the bad molding?

These cars seem to be more like a European style convertible where the Sebring is more like a typical American convertible, a top shop that deals a lot with Mercedes and BMW may have more insight than a typical Chrysler dealer (or I may be completely wrong)? 06BlackVert has done good work here already, while I'm just yapping, but hopefully it will promote more discussion. It will be interesting to hear what the dealer knows and how much needs to be purchased in order to get the replacement molding.

I don't have faith in Chrysler maintaining parts for these cars into the distant future, they are too different from the rest of the line, and not that numerous in the big scheme of things. I'm hoping there is a good solution to this issue.
Old 21 May 2013, 08:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I once removed the plastic guide around the trunk lid and applied some epoxy around worn holes. Cleaned the seal from years of crud collecting on the seal.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 22 May 2013, 07:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

The car goes in to the dealer on Saturday morning for an estimate. Right now I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best.