Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
INTERIOR FUSEBOX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jun 2013, 04:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question INTERIOR FUSEBOX

Hello this is my first post I'm new to the forum and I really hope someone can help me out. I have a 2006 RHD auto PT Cruiser convertible and at the moment none of my indicator lights are working front, back or side. When I indicate right or left the indicator light on the dashboard display flashes really quickly but that's all. I am hoping that it is just a fuse or maybe a relay but I cannot find the interior fuse box anywhere in order to check. Does anybody know where I can find it and if anyone can suggest any other reasons as to why non of my external indicator lights are working it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 03:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: INTERIOR FUSEBOX

The 2006+ cruiser don't have an interior fuse box. The last cruiser to have that was 2005. Everything is in the IPM (Integrated Power Module) that's in the engine compartment. The whole electronic system was changed in 2006 to the CAN-BUS system which isn't easy to work on. Do you have an owners manual? That will give you the layout of all the things inside the IPM.

Here's the rundown of all the things inside the IPM.

The IPM itself....

...and the readout from the owners manual....

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 06:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: INTERIOR FUSEBOX

Thank you very much for your help Crewzin at least I can stop looking for an interior fuse box that does not exist. I don't suppose you would know which fuse is actually responsible for the operation of the external indicator lights after reading your post I referred to my owners manual and couldn't see a more specific break down of what each fuse is responsible for. If there isn't one bespoke fuse then perhaps it is a relay or perhaps the flasher module neither of which I can readily locate at the moment. This is my first car so I'm clutching at straws in the dark what do you think. Any further help you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance (Owain, Cardiff, Wales)
Old 10 Jun 2013, 07:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I wish I could help further but The new Can-Bus system is beyond my capabilities. Different parts of the electrical system are controlled by things I don't understand. It was different with a fuse for each individual thing in the 01-05 cruisers.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 10:15 am
Senior Cruiser

The more "little black boxes", the more it's like voo doo to me. So I can't help a whole lot, either. I believe that besides the main power control module, which controls the engine functions, and the fuse box, there is a body control module (BCM) for most of the lights and accessories. On the '01 through '05, it is under the dash top trim. I have a photo here from when I was cutting my dash for a gauge pod .......

Your '06 BCM most likely is in the same place. (?) I have seen posts here by owners who have had problems with their power windows, convertible tops and other issues, and I recall some kind of fix or "re-set" for the BCM. My recall is vague so maybe someone can give better details. It was something about having the doors open and disconnecting the battery???? I'll do some searching in the old archived threads and see if I can find something. There have been one or two reports about having to replace the BCM but usually the "fix" worked okay.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 10:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

A low or failing battery can cause some strange things to happen. If there is not enough power available to operate all the systems, the power module will select random things to shut off. Even a battery that's not very old can be bad. Try having the battery checked/tested and also try the battery disconnect with the doors open and/or the brake pedal pressed down to completely drain all residual reserve power. I searched and these are the most common fixes for strange electrical problems. There were also a few reports of wires broken and multi function switches (headlight switches) being the cause. It's very common for the switch to have problems with the fog lights but not so much the headlights. It's still worth checking out if the battery checks out and the disconnect procedure doesn't work.

I found the info I was looking for but it doesn't quite match your issues.....
PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.

Tags
fuse, indicator, indicator lights, interior fuse box, lights problems