Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
ROCKER PANEL RUST ON CONVERTIBLE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jun 2013, 03:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default ROCKER PANEL RUST ON CONVERTIBLE

There have been a number of threads describing serious rust problems with the rocker panels on the sedans. I have now found a spot on my driver side at the vertical seam on my convertible when I was doing the timing belt job. It's only in a limited area right at the vertical seam, but it starts internally of course. I treated the external surface with the normal rust products, and after some research, I treated both rocker panels internally with Eastwood Internal Frame coating. I don't know if it will really stop existing rust and protect the panel as advertised, but it's worth a try I think. A can with a long application wand was $16, and I used one on each side. I don't think it took more than 1/2 an hour to apply, may be worth looking into.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 07:54 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: ROCKER PANEL RUST ON CONVERTIBLE

Given the amount of damp dirt I found in my PT behind the passenger-side splash shield and in front of the door, I was surprised that I did NOT have rust. I think I could have potted a small plant in the amount of dirt I pulled out of there! (Mine is not a 'vert, obviously, but I figure the dirt piles up in similar places)

2005 N/A, Cool Vanilla
Adds
PT Wheel Centers, PT Valve Stem Caps
Mopar Chrome Exhaust Tip
Mopar Molded Rear Splash Guards
Mopar Rear Step Pad
K&N Filter
Pioneer Speakers/Receiver w/BlueTooth & HD Radio
Mopar Powered Sub

Last edited by 05vanilla; 18 Jun 2013 at 07:56 am.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 10:30 am
Regular Cruiser

My rocker panels were clean and dry, and the drain holes were all open. Still, some rust took root in the seams? Another note on my painting experience, The Eastwood frame coating allows quite a bit of paint odor into the car. It's fading pretty well after three days, but something that may offend some people.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 10:34 am
Senior Cruiser

My rocker panel looks like a piece of swiss cheese! . Luckily my boss is going to hit it with aluminium patches, then fiberglass the whole thing for me next sunday. Im then going to have the under-carriage and panels hit with rhino liner :-D Lets see them rust then! haha
Old 20 Jun 2013, 02:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
My rocker panel looks like a piece of swiss cheese! . Luckily my boss is going to hit it with aluminium patches, then fiberglass the whole thing for me next sunday. Im then going to have the under-carriage and panels hit with rhino liner :-D Lets see them rust then! haha
for some reason i picture him doing this:
Old 20 Jun 2013, 05:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
for some reason i picture him doing this:
hahaha nooooo thats a bit excessive haha.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 06:57 pm
Young Cruiser

I also noticed that mine has bubble rust on the rockers at the body seams on both sides with the right side being the worse of the 2! Since I'm on a limited budget right now I guess I will remove the plugs and clean it out real good let it dry then spray stop rust in the area where is at to try and slow down the progression of the rust. I going to try to get it repaired soon otherwise there will be actual holes in them by this time next year if I don't!

Last edited by kda66; 16 Aug 2013 at 02:10 pm.