Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05 Convertible Side Mirrors - variance?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jul 2013, 08:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 05 Convertible Side Mirrors - variance?

Hello, I am new here, so apologies for the double post tonight. I posted this question within an older trim-project discussion thread, but feel it is more relevant to the experts here.

I have an 05 convertible PT with power side windows. I needed an exactly identical spare for a project I am trying, and so bid with confidence on eBay recently, winning a side mirror that was stated to have been taken from an '05 PT convertible.

It arrived yesterday and the mounting base is different from the stock mirror on my car. I am going to try to attach an image of both mirrors. The one that came with my 05 has a very sharp point at the top (pointing toward the car roof) of the triangular mirror housing. The one the seller shipped me has a factory blunted tip, which is a bit shorter. It does technically fit, I tried it on the car tonight and the bolts match up, but the shorter one does not cover as much of the window rubber molding.

I've asked the seller about a return, or exchange for the correct mirror for my car, and he is not open to that - he states he has absolute proof that the mirror he sold me came from a 2005 PT convertible.

So I guess two questions: 1) are we both right? Were there two different style convertible mirror bases in 05? Both are power mirrors. 2) since it seems like I am stuck with the shorter based mirror, should I anticipate any leaking or whistling issues because it does not cover as much of the rubber around the window, or is the taller mirror base I have just cosmetic?

Thanks for your advice. There was no way for me to tell when I bid on this that it was different, because the seller's images on the auction cropped out the top of the mounting base - which is the only part that varies from mine.

thanks, Rick 05 Conv Mirrors.jpg
Old 11 Jul 2013, 10:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 05 Convertible Side Mirrors - variance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
Hello, I am new here, so apologies for the double post tonight. I posted this question within an older trim-project discussion thread, but feel it is more relevant to the experts here.

I have an 05 convertible PT with power side windows. I needed an exactly identical spare for a project I am trying, and so bid with confidence on eBay recently, winning a side mirror that was stated to have been taken from an '05 PT convertible.

It arrived yesterday and the mounting base is different from the stock mirror on my car. I am going to try to attach an image of both mirrors. The one that came with my 05 has a very sharp point at the top (pointing toward the car roof) of the triangular mirror housing. The one the seller shipped me has a factory blunted tip, which is a bit shorter. It does technically fit, I tried it on the car tonight and the bolts match up, but the shorter one does not cover as much of the window rubber molding.

I've asked the seller about a return, or exchange for the correct mirror for my car, and he is not open to that - he states he has absolute proof that the mirror he sold me came from a 2005 PT convertible.

So I guess two questions: 1) are we both right? Were there two different style convertible mirror bases in 05? Both are power mirrors. 2) since it seems like I am stuck with the shorter based mirror, should I anticipate any leaking or whistling issues because it does not cover as much of the rubber around the window, or is the taller mirror base I have just cosmetic?

Thanks for your advice. There was no way for me to tell when I bid on this that it was different, because the seller's images on the auction cropped out the top of the mounting base - which is the only part that varies from mine.

thanks, Rick Attachment 8437
Who was the seller. and you do have the power to give negative feedback.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Jul 2013, 09:48 am
Young Cruiser

I just looked at my 05 PT Cruiser Convertible and it has the mirrors with the blunt tip instead of the pointed tip. Also my window does have a whistle noise on that window only but it only occurs when its a windy day otherwise its fine.
Old 14 Jul 2013, 10:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kda66 View Post
I just looked at my 05 PT Cruiser Convertible and it has the mirrors with the blunt tip instead of the pointed tip. Also my window does have a whistle noise on that window only but it only occurs when its a windy day otherwise its fine.
Hi KDA66...

I really appreciate you taking the time to compare your convertible with my photos, and post an answer! Something you said has me curious. "My window does have a whistle noise on that window only..."

So are you saying that ONLY your driver's side-view mirror has the shorter, blunt style base? In other words, your left and right side-view mirrors do not match? Thank you for clarifying.

At this point I have three theories to solve this mystery:

1) There really are two different style '05 convertible side mirrors; there was a running change made during '05 production to the taller style, possibly because of wind getting through the shorter base.

2) There really are two different style '05 convertible side mirrors; it is due to trim level differences between the cars (my ragtop is the 2.4L HO Turbo model, and came with the taller, pointed base mirror)

3) All '05 PT convertible side-view mirrors are identical; all convertibles had the tall/pointed base side-mirror when they left the factory, and any that have the shorter/blunted tip mirror today are wearing replacements due to accident damage - mirrors probably taken from a sedan.

Hopefully more convertible owners will weigh in over time, and we will settle this!

thanks again, Rick
Old 15 Jul 2013, 01:05 am
Young Cruiser

It 's no problem! Glad to help a fellow PT owner if I can! Both of my mirrors have the blunt type mounting on them. Only my driver side mirror has a whistle during wind gusts. I would say that Chrysler probably changed them to the pointed type as a possible solution to the whistle at the mirrors. My PT Convertible is a base model with ZERO options and stickered for $20,010. It was built in March 2005.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 07:04 am
Regular Cruiser

My late production 05 has the pointy tips, same on both sides
Old 03 Aug 2013, 02:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Roderick,

I am having the identical problem. I am looking for a passenger side side-view mirror (pointed at the top tip) for my wife's PT Cruiser. It's a 2005 Convertible/Touring Addition with a non-folding non-heated, power mirror. I've tried three times over the internet and received the wrong mirror- they're always the blunt ended version. I've also tried the dealer twice and received the wrong mirror. The dealer even used the VIN off her car and still gave us the wrong mirror- again all with the blunt tip. I should add that I still have the broken original mirror and it is pointed at the top, just like the driver's side mirror.

Any assistance is appreciated.
Old 04 Aug 2013, 10:20 am
Senior Cruiser

I don't know if this will be a correct answer or even a happy answer??? Well, it seems that some '05 convertibles had the "pointy" mirrors and some had the "blunt". It was probably because Chrysler wanted to eliminate some dim bulb from spearing themselves and suing. It's got to be a liability issue which explains why you can't order a new "pointy" one. That leaves you with continuing to search for what appears to be something rare, or you could give up and buy both the driver's and passenger's side, matching "blunt" ones which seem to be very common.

Here's a link to an old photo/spec page that shows the pointed versions. My guess is that the photos were "early".......
2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible Pictures
Old 05 Aug 2013, 08:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

"...or you could give up and buy both the driver's and passenger's side, matching "blunt" ones which seem to be very common."- Actually the blunt ones just don't fit. It's close but, as Roderick indicated, they just don't fit. This is really incredible how something so simple to fix is just turning out to be a pain. Can anyone here recommend a PT Cruiser specialty shop that might be aware of this situation and hook us up with the correct mirror?
Old 05 Aug 2013, 08:28 pm
Banned

Is someone asleep under there?

That would be pretty awkward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick View Post

thanks, Rick Attachment 8437