PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need some advice....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jul 2013, 11:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need some advice....

Hey everyone-

I am looking at a 2002 Tourning 4-door convert. It has 60k miles and is listed for $5990.

First, is that a good price? Unfortunately KBB doesn't have the option to add a convertable roof, and their retail price from a dealer for this model/miles is $4375. So I think there is some wiggle room with the dealer. But input from you would be greatly apreciated!!!

Second, I have never owned a convertable and after doing some research the 4-door Vert's are aftermarket (not performed by Chrysler) esp the 2002. Can anyone else out there let me know your experiences with the aftermarket convertable top? I live in MN so a concern is that there is no rear defrost since its a plastic window. I have also read in forums that with the aftermarket tops, that sometimes there are air leaks and water leaks at the seams of windshield and windows.

Again any input would be awesome!!

Thanx
Old 30 Jul 2013, 06:43 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Need some advice....

As you have noted, the 4 doors were aftermarket conversions made in the era when any PT cruiser was a new bright thing, and much sought out. The factory engineered cars from 05 on were an attempt to keep the car fresh in the public's mind, the same as the turbo engine cars were in 03 and beyond.

There were incremental improvements made to the cars every year, with the redesign for 06 that some people prefer while others like the 05 and earlier look.

The factory cars in 05 and newer are more thought out, and would be much more weather resistant along with the glass rear window and some other advantages.

Any PT convertible is a fairly rare vehicle, but the early 4 door models are much more so, I have never seen one in my travels.

Unless the collectibility of the custom model appeals to you, I would try and find a factory built car (05 and up), if only for future parts availability.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 06:50 am
Young Cruiser

Yes, if I were you I would stick to an 05 or newer PT convertible. I own an 05 GT convertible and I can honestly say it's the best convertible I've ever owned. This is the fifth convertible I've owned and this PT has the best sealing top and quietest ride with the top up of all the converts I've owned. And as others have said, that 4 door convert is an aftermarket job. Could be very hard to find a replacement top when it becomes necessary. I'm also from Minnesota. I live in Brooklyn Park and I drive mine year round. Top seals very well for the winter, quite toasty. Also I wouldn't want to be without rear defrost.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 06:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Need some advice....

Agree!
Keep looking.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 31 Jul 2013, 10:35 am
Young Cruiser

My advice is to stay away from all 4door verts like the plague. The lack of reinforcing, either with extra body steel or an easter basket handle, means this car will be nothing but trouble as time and gravity take their toll. Doors will become misaligned, wheels misaligned, warped floorboards, you name it.

Run, don't walk, away from that thing

2005 Dreamcruiser Series 4 Convertible. Deep Lava Red (not the plum color) with matching top. Infinity sound, two tone leather, High Output Turbo

2002 Durango 5.9 R/T. Cherry Red. Full time AWD, Infinity Sound, K&N intake.

Last edited by QuarterFlash; 31 Jul 2013 at 10:37 am.