PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front convertible top seal leaks sometimes??

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2013, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Front convertible top seal leaks sometimes??

2007 PT vert, wife's car. Sometimes driving rain, or certain car washes make the top leak above the rear view mirror, enough to get the drivers seat wet. I looked at the top-to-windshield seal and it looks like new, nothing out of the ordinary visually. I cleaned it and used a conditioner and left it. Again it doesn't always leak. After a few weeks, it did leak after a rainstorm. I really don't think cleaning and / or conditioning the seal had any positive effect. After that she takes it through a carwash and nothing. Driving me nuts. Any way to adjust the downforce on that seal? Hard to believe the seal is bad, it looks good. I went through the forums and couldn't find anyone having this problem. Help!! Roger
Old 19 Sep 2013, 09:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Front convertible top seal leaks sometimes??

I can't believe no one has not had this problem. If my seal had a gouge out of it, I would understand. It looks good, but it leaked again. Rog
Old 19 Sep 2013, 12:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

clean the seal and the seal area. Dust and grit will allow the water to migrate past the seal. Also check that the top is pullingdown snug with the latches. Let us know how you make out.
Popdart likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Sep 2013, 02:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. All I did is make it clean . . . still leaks. You asked does the latch pull the top down to make a good seal? I'm not sure it does. Anyway to adjust, shim, tweak the latch? I am guessing that if I am the only one with a seal issue, then my car is the problem. It must not be a common problem.

I may pull all the trim off the upper windshield/seal area and flood it from the outside to try to see where it's getting in. Wifie has not given me the go yet. I told her to take it to the dealer then . . . they probably just replace the seal, charge her a few hundred, and send her home for it to leak another day. I'm not convinced that will fix it.

Frustrated
Old 19 Sep 2013, 05:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popdart View Post
I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. All I did is make it clean . . . still leaks. You asked does the latch pull the top down to make a good seal? I'm not sure it does. Anyway to adjust, shim, tweak the latch? I am guessing that if I am the only one with a seal issue, then my car is the problem. It must not be a common problem.

I may pull all the trim off the upper windshield/seal area and flood it from the outside to try to see where it's getting in. Wifie has not given me the go yet. I told her to take it to the dealer then . . . they probably just replace the seal, charge her a few hundred, and send her home for it to leak another day. I'm not convinced that will fix it.

Frustrated
Can you get the top to move , pressing down on it or pulling up while latched. I don't know about the latches because I don't have one to look at.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Sep 2013, 06:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I will check tomorrow . . . wife is out of town with the "subject car" Rog
Old 19 Sep 2013, 09:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Front convertible top seal leaks sometimes??

Everyone I've known with a soft-top convertible car(any make),has had a leak at one time,or another(on hard-tops maybe a little less).......Although,I do think they've gotten better over the years.
Old 05 Oct 2013, 03:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Front convertible top seal leaks sometimes??

My wifeís 05 GT Convertible has exactly the same problem, leaked today and it's not the first time. It leaks from the inside of the seal just back from the mirror (both sides). I just looked it over and Iíd say the water could be getting in where the top seal separates just behind the front seats (comes apart when the top is put down). There could be an adjustment but itís a butt joint so itís bound to leak sometime.
This section drains to the front and it looks like it might not be hitting the doorpost seal quite right.
Iím going to try and manually move the seal when the top goes down and see how it goes.
Old 05 Oct 2013, 04:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't quite understand what you are explaining, but keep me informed if you make any progress!! Thanks . . . Rog
Old 05 Oct 2013, 05:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: Front convertible top seal leaks sometimes??

If it's a rubber seal/gasket that can be replaced,that might help.....Otherwise,read my above post,and welcome to the world of owning a convertible of any make!