PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
help! keys locked in trunk...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2013, 11:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default help! keys locked in trunk...

OK, I am hoping this turns out to be the shortest-lived thread ever : )

I have a 2005 Convertible (Turbo) which I purchased second hand, from a dealership, three years ago. I was so excited to get it I did not question why they only gave me one set of keys. It was actually not an issue until today.

Just put the top down, threw some stuff in the trunk, jumped in the car and...no keys. I believe they are closed in the trunk. The owners manual says only way to open trunk is with key, with keyless fob (on keychain in trunk now), or with the electronic release button in my glove box. The release button in the glove box produces a soft "click" in the dashboard but nothing else happens.

Rear seat does not appear to release or fold down, as would be the case in a non-convertible. I called AAA and their only option is to tow the car as they do not have a locksmith in my area.

I need my car -- my only car -- today. Any ideas how I can get into the trunk???

thanks, Rick
Old 06 Sep 2013, 11:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: help! keys locked in trunk...

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j0...-Hook-Open.jpg

Try putting something like this on the end of a pole/broom stick/ etc. Reach from between the back seat sections and hook it around the trunk release T handle and pull. Should get you in......
Old 06 Sep 2013, 12:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Topless...how do I get between the seats to get into the rear compartment. I just read an older thread on this issue. After reading that, I unbolted the front hinges on the rear seat, but the seats are not coming out. Is there somewhere else that they are bolted in place? Thanks again
Old 06 Sep 2013, 12:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Spread the seat cushions apart where the two sections split in the back cushions. Might need a flashlight to see in there, as I'm not sure how well the glow in the dark part works on the T handle of the trunk release. Reach the pole with the hook screwed to the end through that area and hook it around the bottom part of the T. Then pull the release slowly out to release the trunk.

The seats are also latched at the top(the quick release being found in the trunk), so I'm not sure how well it will work trying to take the seats out.
Old 06 Sep 2013, 12:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default thank you! the day is saved/issue resolved

Hey thanks again! After removing the eight seat hinge bolt anchors (half inch head, in case anyone needs to know for future) I was able to wiggle one of the rear seats enough that it popped out of the simple hook/latch mechanism behind the upper center of each rear seat. Although the rear seat looks like a bench it is actually two independent base/back cushion sets.

That gave me enough room to feed in a garden hoe (I live rural) which immediately caught the T latch. Lifting up the truck immediately opened. Yep, keys were in the trunk. Yeesh...a moment's distraction, and hours of anguish.

Thanks again topless for your help and encouragement.

- Rick
ridn2 likes this.
Old 06 Sep 2013, 12:45 pm
Banned

Glad you got in, now don't be a stranger in here.

You need to be on here to help others like you were helped

Its called "Paying it forward"
Old 06 Sep 2013, 09:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Glad you got in, now don't be a stranger in here.

You need to be on here to help others like you were helped

Its called "Paying it forward"
Thanks, I actually had that very thing in mind when I replied that my issue was resolved. In that final post, mentioned things like the size wrench needed to remove the seat bolts (1/2" inch), and the location of the hidden upper latches behind the seat, which need gentle nudging to unlatch from the wrong side, and the fact that the bench seat comes apart as two divided sections.

None of that info in my last post helped me, since I found those things out as I worked on my car today, but I typed them in hope that they would help someone else later on who encountered a similar problem and was reading my thread.

I don't have a lot of online time but will check in here when I can. This is a really great and active forum and I do appreciate it!

- Rick
Old 06 Sep 2013, 10:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: help! keys locked in trunk...

I suggested the exact same solutions as these,back in June on this thread: Trunk Release
Old 06 Sep 2013, 11:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: help! keys locked in trunk...

To prevent that aggravation in the future,get a spare key(even non-chipped key!),and hide it under the car ,in a secure place,or carry it in your wallet.....I have locked my keys in the car accidentally at least a dozen times in the last 20 years,but never longer than 10 seconds!...The amount of time it takes me to pull out my wallet,and get out my 'credit card key'.
Even a spare like this for $2 will at least open the door,or trunk: ILCO P1793 Y155 Key Blanks for Chrysler Dodge Jeep | eBay
NOTE: This type of key will NOT start any car equipped with SKIM!
Old 07 Sep 2013, 08:26 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Maybe a little off topic from main question, but you said you hear a click when you push the release button in the glove box. Have you had someone try to lift up on the trunk while your pushing the button???? I know a lot of cars get worn out and the button still works. Just the trunk needs someone pulling on it. You should see if that's the case with yours. If it does work. To bad no one mentioned this before you went through all that hassle.
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.