PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lowering ?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jun 2014, 07:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Lowering ?

It's time to get the gap out of the wheel wells, so it's time to lower it. I'm looking for any advise on which brands, and any suggestions on the right height for my convert. Thanks!
Old 07 Jun 2014, 07:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Lowering ?

A well known name in lowering springs is Eibach and their Pro Kit does a good job in getting the space out of the wheel wells. But there's lots of kits out there in a search so I'm sure you'll hear about many others.

For me, just adding the lowering springs gave it too much of a harsh ride. Not until I added the Tokico shocks and struts that are made for lowered cars did the ride improve slightly.

Whatever or however you decide to go, know that it will always be a slightly bumpier/slightly harsher ride than the stock springs/shocks/struts.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Jun 2014 at 07:42 am.
Old 07 Jun 2014, 08:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

My advice is to keep the drop 2" or less. That will reduce bottoming out and a harsh ride.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Jun 2014, 10:38 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the info. I found 5 manufactures, your thoughts...
1) Eibach #2860.140 @289.00
2) B&G #14.1.009 @235.00
3) Tein #SKG10-AUB00 @ 169.00
4) H&R #50801 @195.00
5) Belltech #4804 @136.00
H&R is the only one that talks about a convertible!
Old 07 Jun 2014, 10:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

A complete inspection of your suspension and brake system should be done before any lowering or suspension changes of any vehicle.

There is a chart in the Factory Service Manual that gives the ride height. This also should be measured before and after lowering.

If you lower without rear anti roll bars or improved hydraulics you might find that not only will you get a lower profile but the ride may actually improve for the better.
The steering geometry of the PT Cruiser will be changed if you lower more than 1.5 inches in the front. AT this time there is no correction part to readjust this back to engineered factory specifications.

Aftermarket replacement Springs
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...nt-spings.html

Any suspension modification should be planned out well. If you have no experience with suspension operation it is a good idea to find a local shop that deals in suspension alterations and discuss with them what you would like to do with your PT Cruiser.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 07 Jun 2014, 10:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

SHOX.Com is where I got mine. I think they were H&R, but it was years ago, and my memory is suspect...
I only dropped the rear since I wanted it leveled out and the rear wheel gap is bigger.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Jun 2014, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by red98gt View Post
Thanks for the info. I found 5 manufactures, your thoughts...
1) Eibach #2860.140 @289.00
2) B&G #14.1.009 @235.00
3) Tein #SKG10-AUB00 @ 169.00
4) H&R #50801 @195.00
5) Belltech #4804 @136.00
H&R is the only one that talks about a convertible!
This question can not be accurately answered because of all the variables between different owners of PTs.
The spring you list are all mostly very good springs from companies that have been well established over the years. I recomend to find the one that fits your budget and from good distributor.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 07 Jun 2014, 08:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

WOW did I learn a thing or two today about lowering springs! Thanks very much.
Old 07 Jun 2014, 09:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
SHOX.Com is where I got mine. I think they were H&R, but it was years ago, and my memory is suspect...
I only dropped the rear since I wanted it leveled out and the rear wheel gap is bigger.
Got any pictures of yours quisksilverdon with just the rear lowered ?
Old 07 Jun 2014, 09:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
Got any pictures of yours quisksilverdon with just the rear lowered ?
Don aka quisksilverdon rarely post pictures? Here is our PT rear lowering springs stock front springs and all stock dampers.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Closed Thread