PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is a rear sway bar worth installing on a 06 convert?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jul 2014, 11:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Is a rear sway bar worth installing on a 06 convert?

I have a 2006 convertible and I am considering putting on a rear sway bar. Anyone have a convertible that has done this and was it worth doing in your opinion?

Looking forward to hearing feed back on this both good and bad. I would assume on a convertible it would be worth doing and hoping I can find a used one at the wrecking yard off a 2001 or 2002.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 12:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Is a rear sway bar worth installing on a 06 convert?

Your personal driving style and technique would have you answering your own question. If you want improved turning stability with a slightly firmer ride than by all means install one.

I installed a factory one last year on a customers 05 vert because they hated the twisting associated with many convertible over bumps. They were in their late 60 and after a month asked me to remove it because of the loss in smooth ride?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 20 Jul 2014, 01:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have a regular 09 and it was worth it so I would think it would be well worth it on a vert.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 04:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thank for the feed back so far. Nitro, I need some clarification on the one you installed for the customers in their 60's. I had always thought a rear sway bar effected the feel of the car in corners so I am just trying to figure out how it would change the smoothness over bumps. I apologize in advance for my ignorance on the way the rear sway bar works just did not think it would effect the smoothness of the ride over bumps.

I am seeing a few different styles of rear sway bars for the PT cruiser. The factory one appears to have links that tie the end of the sway bar up to the inner wheel house area. I have seen some being sold new that appear to bolt directly to something without a link. I am wondering if the type or style of rear sway bar may in some way restrict the ability of the rear axle to move up and down thereby effecting the smoothness of the ride going over bumps?
Old 20 Jul 2014, 05:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDNPT View Post
Thank for the feed back so far. Nitro, I need some clarification on the one you installed for the customers in their 60's. I had always thought a rear sway bar effected the feel of the car in corners so I am just trying to figure out how it would change the smoothness over bumps. I apologize in advance for my ignorance on the way the rear sway bar works just did not think it would effect the smoothness of the ride over bumps.

I am seeing a few different styles of rear sway bars for the PT cruiser. The factory one appears to have links that tie the end of the sway bar up to the inner wheel house area. I have seen some being sold new that appear to bolt directly to something without a link. I am wondering if the type or style of rear sway bar may in some way restrict the ability of the rear axle to move up and down thereby effecting the smoothness of the ride going over bumps?
A very big worldwide misconception about anti roll bars...it is simple you are not alway on a perfectly flat road so the motion is not always vertically straight up and down. Even one person in the car can effect the bar by preloading slightly to one side and increase the firmness of the ride. Measurable!!!

There is only one style of bar that I have ever seen available for PT Cruiser. They all use end links. End links may come in all shapes sizes and colors but all they do is "link" the end rod to the frame. Adjustable enable the custom tuning of preloading a bar for some specific Road track. The difference in bushings on the enf link only effect driver feedback for determining a possible change in steering. And this is again for Road Track and not necessarily for the street. The harder the bushing the faster the slower the compression and the great the feedback information. Not many really know what to do with all the sway bar information. LOL

IMHO choose a anti roll bar that best suite your driving style and other upgrades you have made or will be making to your PT Cruiser.

There is NO good, better, best sway bar on the market for PT Cruisers. So your pocket book can also be a factor here as well. The ST front and rear bars I currently have on our PT seem to be the least expensive currently on Ebay and work VERY well. I did the install with them, for a pictorial on the forums temporarily leaving them on until my custom suspension project is finished.

Remember the biggest assets to your driving experience is the choice in the tires you use. The sway bars simply help keep the most foot of the tire on the pavement in turns.
PGBCruiser likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN