Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need Help Finding Part

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jul 2014, 11:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Need Help Finding Part

Whats up fellow PT owners. I need help finding a part for my '07 convertible. A couple of weeks ago I went to put my top down and about half way, I heard a snap and the entire top flew back hard. I thought it got stuck on something inside and didn't think anything of it. Later that day when i went to put it back up, it wouldn't go up. I saw the drivers side go up, but the passenger side was having problems, so i assisted it up while my brother was pushing the button to bring it up. So the next day I open it up, which is a pain because you need to remove a lot of interior to get to the hinge, and realized the bolt that connects the hydraulic cylinder to the bracket on the top got loose, got caught in the hinge, and snapped in half. I've looked for hours on the internet and found the part, and just got an email from the company that the part was either on back order or isn't manufactured anymore. I called the Chrysler dealer near my house and he confirmed that Mopar doesn't make that screw any more and that if i find it, he recommends i buy more than one. Anybody know of any websites I could look on or if anyone has an extra that they are willing to sell me? In the picture it's the number 1 more to the left. It has an allen key head that's flat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagesWLinks.jpg (20.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 29 Jul 2014, 12:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Need Help Finding Part

Could you post a picture of the diagram you are looking at?

Or at least a picture of your broken bolt?

I just went and put the top down on mine and it looks to me like the bolt you may have broken is a shoulder bolt. If you cant find a reasonable replacement somewhere like granger you might have to have a shop make one on a lathe.
Old 29 Jul 2014, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry. I left the broken one as well as the good one from the driver side at my uncles house. As soon as I get them back I'll post them. But from what I remember it looks about an inch and a quarter long with only a quarter inch of threads. The rest is thicker than the threads and looks like I could just use a sleave if only I found the bolt to put in. The thread looks like a 1/4 20. Again, I'll post as soon as I get them back
Old 29 Jul 2014, 05:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

How can I enlarge his picture?
Old 29 Jul 2014, 08:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Maybe once he posts a picture you can do something with it.
Old 29 Jul 2014, 08:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by red98gt View Post
How can I enlarge his picture?
Here you go...

imagesWLinks.jpg

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 29 Jul 2014, 08:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

maybe in here ? ( Thanks to Chromey for this one )
PT CRUISER TECHNICAL DOCUMENTS LIBRARY
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 09:45 am
Regular Cruiser

The original bolt and nut are probably metric, but that doesn't really matter as it is a specialty part, not something off the shelf. I agree with KA9VQF regarding having something made. If there is room to the sides, a longer bolt could be used with washers or a spacer. If it's just a pivot point, a pin of some sort may work. I normally use an extra long bolt when I need to make something like this, and usually an allen socket head bolt as they are hardened. Select one which has an unthreaded shank of an appropriate length and cut the threaded end down to give just enough thread length to hold the nut. The socket end can be ground down if you are just making a pin and have tight clearance on that end. Loctite the nut on at a slack location if you don't want the bolt to exert any clamping pressure.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 04:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Alright here are some pics. I'm going to look more into the parts catalog that was posted. Thanks for all the help guys.IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg
Old 30 Jul 2014, 06:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

These are about 5" long but basically the same thing, they came off a bunk bed.
You might be able to find something similar in a hardware store or online.

IMG_20140730_185731.jpg

IMG_20140730_185752.jpg

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 30 Jul 2014 at 06:08 pm.