Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Top Replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jul 2014, 04:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Top Replacement

If you've replaced your top, any and all advice is appreciated. I've a top that looks ratty and a new one to go on. I just need to know how to do it.

I'm looking for wisdom......and I can't afford to take it to be done.

THANKS!
Mike
Old 31 Jul 2014, 05:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Top Replacement

well if you drink got a lot
if you dont try prayer
(Im more the prayer kind of guy)

some one will be around to guide you through althought i havent heard a lot of guys changing them maybe sonnercruser will have some advise
Old 03 Aug 2014, 08:59 am
Regular Cruiser

I would check out good You Tube videos on replacing convertible tops before attempting your replacement on your own. I would also go and talk to a few upholstery places in your area and see what they can tell you about replacing one on a PT.

I work with cars every day and have for years and convertible tops is not something I personally would tackle. This is just based on the level of expertise and specialty tools etc. I have seen it takes to do a convertible top correctly. That all being said I understand when you do not have the money to do something like this you just have to do what you have to do.

If you are going to do this yourself spend as much time looking at You Tube videos etc. on the subject before you start so you will be as prepared as possible. Allow your self double to triple the time you think it will take and good luck.
Old 03 Aug 2014, 09:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I've replaced convertible tops before. If you buy a good quality top, installation is not too bad. Just be sure to pull it really tight because it will stretch after installation.

YouTube will show you everything you need to know. Here's a primer video that shows how to remove the top on a Sebring. The PT should be very similar:

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Aug 2014 at 09:44 am.
Old 03 Aug 2014, 11:07 am
Cool Cruiser

My first convertible was a bright red '65 Impala with a black top. When I got it the top was pretty well covered with duct tape and the electric motors were shot. I bought the car for $75.00 mainly because the top was in such bad shape. It ran well and went down the road just fine, just the top looked like crap.

Since it was winter time the best I could do was fix the heater so I was at least fairly warm in it.

Once the nicer spring days came I started to sew up the tears in it as best I could. I ordered new motors through the local NAPA store.

As the spring progressed I got the fabric in decent shape and got all the glue from the duct tape off and replaced the plastic window in the back then repaired the mechanism to where the top would go up and down with no assistance from me.

Around August I found another car that had been in a accident. It had a white top on it but that top was in like new shape so I swapped it for my original black top.

It was a job I wished I had hired done. The white top was a bugger to keep clean too.