Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Steering wheel replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2014, 01:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Steering wheel replacement

Has anyone got any experience in the removal of a pt cruiser steering wheel, I'm interested in the airbag removal and how it affects the on board computer and any warning lights,
Does anyone have experience of perhaps a by pass for the airbag.
Thanks andy in the uk
Old 22 Sep 2014, 03:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Steering wheel replacement

it will turn your airbag warning light on and you'll fail any inspection the government may make you take there.

you may be able to find a creative way to keep the light off using resistors, but i've never seen any instructions on doing that. for example, here's a volkswagen guide: http://www.users.on.net/~quozl/PDF/A...or%20Guide.pdf

you might try measuring the resistance of the airbag with a multimeter, then go buy a 0.5w resistor of that value. i'd be afraid to try it though. connecting it wrong may deploy the other air bags.

Last edited by rob342; 22 Sep 2014 at 03:37 pm.
Old 22 Sep 2014, 04:56 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyuk View Post
Has anyone got any experience in the removal of a pt cruiser steering wheel, I'm interested in the airbag removal and how it affects the on board computer and any warning lights,
Does anyone have experience of perhaps a by pass for the airbag.
Thanks andy in the uk
I had my steering wheel replaced with no ill effects. Don't ask me how they did it. I just know it can be done. It must not be too complicated, because the garage only charged me 20.00 or so to do it.

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 23 Sep 2014, 01:34 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to ptgrotje Send a message via Yahoo to ptgrotje

With what do you want to replace it? Something old maybe?
Old 24 Sep 2014, 01:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies, I was going to replace it with an polished dark oak model, with the horn button still in the middle. But having looked deeper I can't find any instructions on how to bypass he airbag part this as you say the warning light will be on, thus fail a uk yearly test (mot).
Surely someone has done it.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym View Post
I had my steering wheel replaced with no ill effects. Don't ask me how they did it. I just know it can be done. It must not be too complicated, because the garage only charged me 20.00 or so to do it.
This sounds like only a stock wheel replacement.
There is not really away to do an aftermarket in less than 2-3 hours or more if you want to retain the cruise control.

If you disconnect the battery and wait 5 minutes or more the air bag can not deploy.

There is a couple ways to replace the airbag and keep the system active. The resistor is the most common way. If you measure the ohm of the sir bag and than get a one way resistor with the same ohms it should keep the system active. Another way which is really a better idea is with an adjustable ohms Potentiometer . This way you can get the exact ohm resistance through the system. The down fall is if you mess up with either way the air bag will missing will activate a warning light and the system will be inactive until re-set.

I doubt that anyone will tell you what resistor to use for fear of being wrong besides I would not trust anyone information regarding this anyway.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 24 Sep 2014 at 02:08 pm.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 02:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good Luck!

How to: Aftermarket steering wheel

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 24 Sep 2014, 08:37 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
There is not really away to do an aftermarket in less than 2-3 hours or more if you want to retain the cruise control.

If you disconnect the battery and wait 5 minutes or more the air bag can not deploy.

There is a couple ways to replace the airbag and keep the system active. The resistor is the most common way. If you measure the ohm of the sir bag and than get a one way resistor with the same ohms it should keep the system active. Another way which is really a better idea is with an adjustable ohms Potentiometer . This way you can get the exact ohm resistance through the system. The down fall is if you mess up with either way the air bag will missing will activate a warning light and the system will be inactive until re-set.

I doubt that anyone will tell you what resistor to use for fear of being wrong besides I would not trust anyone information regarding this anyway.
yes, it was basically a stock replacement. The original wheel was showing wear, and I found a leather wrapped wheel on eBay. I think the leather wheel was from a GT. It has silver spokes. The leather wrapped wheel on my son's '03 Limited has black spokes. Just trivia.

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 08:37 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post

Yes, it was basically a stock replacement. The original wheel was showing wear, and I found a leather wrapped wheel on eBay. I think the leather wheel was from a GT. It has silver spokes. The leather wrapped wheel on my son's '03 Limited has black spokes. Just trivia.

Harry

Old 02 Nov 2014, 06:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Please do not use a multimeter to check the air bag resistance as suggested below as it will set off the air bag.

"you might try measuring the resistance of the airbag with a multimeter, then go buy a 0.5w resistor of that value. i'd be afraid to try it though. connecting it wrong may deploy the other air bags."

2nd, There is a specific sequence of events listed in the manual for replacing the air bag which involves the use of a DRBIII scanner (Code Scanner).

First disconnect the negative (Ground) wire from the battery for at least 20 minutes.

a. Connect the cone scanner to the diagnostic connector (below the steering column)

b. Turn the ignition switch to the on position (not start)

c. Make sure there is no one in the vehicle and reconnect the ground battery negative (ground) wire (cable)

d. if the air bags did not go off... good, now use the scan tool to note any diagnostic codes and refer to the relative data if any fault codes exist.

e. Erase any stored fault codes (if there is a problem the codes will not erase)

f. reach round behind the steering wheel (to the front of the steering column) and turn the ignition key off then turn it back on
1-Look at the airbag indicator light on the dash panel
2-It should turn on for 6-8 seconds then go out
3-This indicates that the airbag system is working properly

If the airbag lamp test fails there is a malfunction which must be determined and repaired. (see the scanner codes)

If the airbag lamp test passes:
Turn the key off and remove the scan tool
1-Test that the horn is working
2-Test that the tilt mechanism works
3-Road test the vehicle

Hope this helps the folks across the pond