PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Did I just screw up my rear window?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By soonercruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2014, 09:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Did I just screw up my rear window?

While concentrating on my window problem (see other post), I happened to lower the roof. I did not realize that an empty plastic spray bottle had been thrown behind the rear seats. I thought the roof made a bit of a funny sound as it lowered, but didn't think a whole lot about it. After sitting like that for a few days, tonight I put the roof back up. Again, I noticed it acted and sounded just a bit different; the best I could think of was that it seemed a bit sluggish. I figured it was my imagination, especially since this car is still so new to me. But then I noticed the crushed bottle.

There didn't seem to be any damage, and the outside of the window and its seal with the roof still looked normal. However, on the inside it appears that the sides and top of the headliner isn't connected to the window. The bottom of the window appears normal with the plastic bezels of the window and the headliner intact.

I thought maybe the liner bezel just needed to "snap" back onto the window bezel, but I had no luck doing it. Each time I got so far, the part I had already done popped back off.

Other than hanging just slightly below the top of the window, it actually looks fine. But I'm assuming these bezels do indeed need to be connected.

So, my fellow vertiphiles, could you 1) tell me if my assessment is correct, and if so, 2) any tricks to get the bezels reconnected.

TIA!

*** 2005 GT Turbo Convertible ***
Old 23 Oct 2014, 07:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Did I just screw up my rear window?

Will look at my 2005 later today, when I get her out of storage.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 24 Oct 2014, 09:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Did I just screw up my rear window?

Sorry I'm late with the response.
I had the vert parked "for sale" at a local business today.

I can see what you are talking about.
And mine, with the top up and everything in place....the inner liner is under some pretty good tension. So, I can visualize the difficulty reattaching the trim on the inner head liner with the top up, and tight.
(In the shop, that is probably attached while laying on a work table, and then the top is installed afterwards. And then all the inner liner edges are snapped into place as a final touch.)

So, My suggestions:
- It is probably now a two person - 4 handed job...if it can be done at all.
- A little light petroleum jelly lube around the snap edges of the window.
* Loosen the snap tabs that hold the inner liner in place behind the windows; as many as you can. I did that when I was doing my custom repair of some wear through on the edge of my top. That should also reduce the tension around the window.
* Maybe lowering the top slightly will reduce the tension on the inner head liner.

*Below is a photo or two of when I loosened the inner liner to get my arm inside and sew a repair patch on the edge of the top behind the passenger side window.

Handy_Cruiser likes this.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 24 Oct 2014 at 09:24 pm.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 08:49 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Did I just screw up my rear window?

I don't have any experience with this problem, but it may be possible to find an intermediate position of the top where you can still reach in from the back seat, but the tension on the snaps will be reduced. You may have damaged the little wires on the rear glass for defrost, but there are repair kits for that problem. It is real good the glass is still connected to the top, that would be a real problem to have to fix.