PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Driver side rearview mirror replacement

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Nov 2014, 02:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Driver side rearview mirror replacement

My wife has a 2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT. She just broke the driver side power rearview mirror by backing off and hitting a pole. The whole assembly has to be replaced.

The local Chrysler shop wants to have $125 (plus tax) for the part and $90 for labor.

Is this something that can be done easily or semi-easily by oneself?

Do I have to buy an original part or can I also buy a generic part ($25 [ActionCrash] on partsgeek.com; $70 [CIPA] on autoanything.com)?

Thanks for your help!

PS: I just noticed that the aftermarket mirrors I saw are not for the Convertible and I can't find them anywhere else. I guess that is ending the discussion - right?

Last edited by desertman; 07 Nov 2014 at 02:39 pm.
Old 07 Nov 2014, 03:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Driver side rearview mirror replacement

Check in the "Foe Sale" forum at the bottom of the home page.
There are always a lot of parts being sold there.
Or, post an "Wanted" ad too.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 07 Nov 2014, 07:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Driver side rearview mirror replacement

or if you have a nearby pull-a-part shop...
Old 07 Nov 2014, 08:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This is very easy to replace. If it's the same as the 1st Gen PT, you pop off the little triangular cover, unplug the wire and then remove three 10mm nuts. And the mirror comes right off.

Check with forum member, bubba_1952, first. He may have one that he can send you for a very reasonable price.
Old 07 Nov 2014, 09:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman View Post
My wife has a 2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT. She just broke the driver side power rearview mirror by backing off and hitting a pole. The whole assembly has to be replaced.

The local Chrysler shop wants to have $125 (plus tax) for the part and $90 for labor.

Do I have to buy an original part or can I also buy a generic part ($25 [ActionCrash] on partsgeek.com; $70 [CIPA] on autoanything.com)?

Thanks for your help!

PS: I just noticed that the aftermarket mirrors I saw are not for the Convertible and I can't find them anywhere else. I guess that is ending the discussion - right?
Someone on this forum posted a parting out of a vert. Check the for sale section.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Nov 2014, 10:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman View Post
I only replaced one remote-control rearview mirror - not on a PT - it took a lot of patience, a quality I do not have an abundance of....
soonercruiser likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Nov 2014, 11:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Removing the triangle trim piece on the inside should give you easy access to the mounting studs and nuts. Maybe the wire harness can be simply unplugged without having to pull the interior door skin, but if you do, it's just a few minutes more work.

The trick, though, is a replacement mirror has to be from another convertible because they are a different shape than the hard tops due to the convertible having a different angle A-pillar and windshield. Now here's where my memory starts getting cloudy: I believe I have seen posts that even though the convertibles were only made for a few years, the mirror shapes were changed somewhere along the way..... and not changed from one year to the next but in the middle of one of the years. This seems to be a problem when sourcing both new or used convertible mirrors. I could be wrong but that's what is scratching at the back of my old and cluttered brain. I hope I'm giving correct info.

If you find a part number when you pull the broken mirror, that would be helpful if you are going to buy new or get one from a bone yard with your own tools and hands. But buying on eBay or from a used parts supplier could be a problem.
Old 10 Nov 2014, 12:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

you can get a mirror form Rock Auto for the correct year but they are a little pricy
Old 10 Nov 2014, 03:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Driver side rearview mirror replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
I only replaced one remote-control rearview mirror - not on a PT - it took a lot of patience, a quality I do not have an abundance of....
I can identify with that....
As, I've got a bunch of Yukoslav blood in me!
It's a wonder anything mechanical around here works.
But then again, maybe a few well-placed curses acts like lubrication!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 10 Nov 2014, 07:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

I've had to replace several of the old style mechanical remote adjustable mirrors.

In my not so humble opinion, the electric ones are a lot easier.

The one on our Caviler had something on the order of 12 feet of cables that had to be pulled out of the car and the replacement threaded back in to the center of the dash.

It probably would have been easier to take the dash out.

On our Grand Am a nice young man came out from a side street with his monster truck {ok it wasn't really a monster truck but he was running some darn big tires on it} he got a little too close to the Grand Am and he clipped the mirror off.

I bought a new mirror and swapped them out in just a few minutes time. I was really happy with that. I was even happier when I got a check for nearly twice what the mirror cost a few weeks later. I think his insurance company included what they figured a body shop would have charged to put it on.

I have changed a lot of broken mirrors on a lot of different cars over the years. Some have required some body work to get the metal where it belonged then the new mirror would fit better.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.