PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What aftermarket suspension for an '05 non-turbo convertible would you recommend?

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Apr 2015, 06:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default What aftermarket suspension for an '05 non-turbo convertible would you recommend?

Need new suspension all around. Lots of squeaking and riding much rougher. I'm thinking get away from OEM bushings and shocks and struts. What would you all recommend?
Old 14 Apr 2015, 06:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What aftermarket suspension for an '05 non-turbo convertible would you recommend?

If you already do not like the rough ride stock then:
Monroe or KYB (not the gas adjust but Gr2) and STOCK replacement bushings. Anything else will improve the handling but sacrifice the smooth OE ride.
The tires you choose will also effect the ride. An all season tends to have softer sidewalls. Check with the Tire rack.
Busted_PT likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 14 Apr 2015, 06:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: What aftermarket suspension for an '05 non-turbo convertible would you recommend?

OK thanks. Tires are the same as original: Goodyear Eagles. I assumed aftermarket suspension would be a major upgrade. Maybe I'll just stick with OEM all around. Always liked the original ride actually.
Old 14 Apr 2015, 11:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: What aftermarket suspension for an '05 non-turbo convertible would you recommend?

Yup!
I was gonna say "something a little less stiff"!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 05 Jun 2015, 08:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

I added an aluminum front tower brace to my 05 base convertible and that tightened up the front end. I don't remember the brand name other than it was made in South Africa
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 05 Jun 2015, 09:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Aluminum strut tower braces available for PT Cruiser are good looking! They "technically" may not really be considered aftermarket suspension though

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 05 Jun 2015, 10:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar20 View Post
I added an aluminum front tower brace to my 05 base convertible and that tightened up the front end. I don't remember the brand name other than it was made in South Africa
You may want to start a thread and introduce yourself. Generally speaking it is considered polite.

I might also recommend that you spend some time and do some reading of the various threads about PT Cruiser information. You may find some interesting things relating to "aftermarket" upgrade parts?

Our "HEAD" moderator CREWZIN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
We encourage all new members to say hello and introduce yourself to the rest of the community by starting a post in the Welcome New PT Owners thread at the top half of the forum.

Other wise...

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

UpDated Forum Rules

Welcome New PT Cruiser Members - PT Cruiser Forum

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 05 Jun 2015, 04:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar20 View Post
Where did you find the tower brace?
Old 05 Jun 2015, 05:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Where did you find the tower brace?
Its aluminum... so the new member mentioned in his response. There was only a handle full ever made for PT in aluminum.

I hope we are not going to start another debate about what works and doesn't for strut bars? Because it has the response smell of one starting.

I am going to sick the Mustang forum on you next time!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 05 Jun 2015, 06:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Its aluminum... so the new member mentioned in his response. There was only a handle full ever made for PT in aluminum.

I hope we are not going to start another debate about what works and doesn't for strut bars? Because it has the response smell of one starting.

I am going to sick the Mustang forum on you next time!
So now you're bothering folks on the Mustang forum too?

Hey, I already have a set of NOPI twin strut bars that add 60 hp and cure male patterned baldness. You must be confusing me with someone else. When have I championed the embattled cause of the much fabled strut bar other than in jest?

For your reference, I hold MOST performance parts suspect including yours. What were even thinking about with that rear strut bar for the PT?

As for me, I'm just willing to admit I like shiny stuff. And I really like the LOOKS of some of the strut "braces" made for the PT in the past. To me the freedom "bar" looks more wimpy than my still-in-the-box NOPI twin bars. And if there's one of those big muscular braces still for sale at a decent price, I'm in the market.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 05 Jun 2015 at 06:56 pm.