PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Old rental car

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 May 2015, 10:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Old rental car

Hi all,

I had to sell my beloved 2004 GT (hardtop), as it was too expensive to ship out of New Zealand. I'm now considering an 06 GT convertible. Only problem: it's an old rental car. And I mean old...it's currently with a second (or third?) tier company. I assume they bought it from a national rental company, but I'm only guessing. Only 55k miles on it, and it appears to be in reasonably good shape. (It has been well detailed recently.) It does have a very irritating driver side wind noise that i hope i can fix myself. I'm having trouble figuring out why they're selling it, as they have dozens on their lot that they are still renting. Price is around $500 under kbb (fair condition). I would have it checked out by a mechanic first.

Should I run from this car?
Old 08 May 2015, 11:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Old rental car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
Hi all,

I had to sell my beloved 2004 GT (hardtop), as it was too expensive to ship out of New Zealand. I'm now considering an 06 GT convertible. Only problem: it's an old rental car. And I mean old...it's currently with a second (or third?) tier company. I assume they bought it from a national rental company, but I'm only guessing. Only 55k miles on it, and it appears to be in reasonably good shape. (It has been well detailed recently.) It does have a very irritating driver side wind noise that i hope i can fix myself. I'm having trouble figuring out why they're selling it, as they have dozens on their lot that they are still renting. Price is around $500 under kbb (fair condition). I would have it checked out by a mechanic first.

Should I run from this car?
How do you know the next one hasn't been demonized by someone's children? You don't. You have to use your eyes, ears, and Any other means to determine if it is in proper shape. Carfax might tell you some but by no means is that accurate. Fair is the lowest setting. So a good starting point. There is a tsb on the wind noise. Someone was talking about one on face book that was posted on this site.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 08 May 2015 at 11:08 am.
Old 08 May 2015, 11:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'd usually stay away from previous rentals as you never know how they were treated by the customer(s). The rental company has a vested interest in the car so it should have been kept up as far as service goes.

if your having it checked out by a mechanic, and he's familiar with the quirks of the PT and he finds it a good buy, go for it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 May 2015, 12:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The rental company has a vested interest in the car so it should have been kept up as far as service goes.
You're thinking of Hertz! This local company is known (at least on yelp) for renting out cars with failing brakes and low oil. I'm pretty confident it's been mistreated; I'm just kind of hoping it won't be that bad given the low miles.
Old 09 May 2015, 09:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Rental cars are not usually bad things to own. There are an awful lot of HHR's that were rental vehicles. {I own an HHR in my spare time}

There is a rental company called Rent a Wreck. I have rented several of their vehicles back in the '70's and '80's and though they were pretty old vehicles they were in decent condition. Usually in better condition than my own car.

I paid normally paid around $8.00 a day for one of them which had Hertz beat by quite a bit. Part of the deal was Rent a Wreck would offer you additional insurance on the vehicle for $5.00 a week. I almost always knew how many days I would need the rental and would buy the additional insurance if I ended up needing it.

If you bought a weeks worth of the additional insurance and only ended needing the car for say three days you did not get a refund on the unused days you paid for and I was OK with that.

If I happened to end up needing the car for more days than I thought it was going to it was no problem to get additional days added to my bill using a check over the phone.

Of course that was before everyone had a credit card so checks over the phone were quite popular. It really did not matter to me anyway because the boss would always reimburse me for whatever it cost.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.