PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Convertible - rust on rocker panel - what should I do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 May 2015, 11:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Convertible - rust on rocker panel - what should I do?

Hello everybody!

I just discovered the first rust on the rocker panel of my PT.

As the panel of the convertible is made of two pieces which are welded together, any info/tips/hints how to best get rid of it?

Any input would be appreciated!

I attached a photo of the ugly spot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aussen-Schweller_Roststelle.jpg (73.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 28 May 2015, 12:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Convertible - rust on rocker panel - what should I do?

This is surface for now. I would recommend to have this sand blasted and primed with a rust inhibiting bare metal primer the prepare for pain as usual. I would seam seal it as well when you get to the priming stage.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 May 2015, 08:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

First I would get the car up in the air and get a very good look at every thing on the under side of the car. In my experience what rust you are seeing is a good indication you have more developing in other areas.

It is important when dealing with rust to get as complete a picture as possible as most tackle what they can see and then down the road find out there is much more lingering then they realized.

If you find that this is the only spot of any concern at this time I would second the advice you were given before me but keep in mind that if any product is needed to fill in low spots after the surface rust is removed you will not want to use bondo as this will absorb moisture if moisture is able to get to it at all from the back side. I recommend a fiberglass type product and do everything you can to stop moisture from getting to this area from the back side.

Good luck and if you have a reputable body shop in your area I would see if they can get the car up in the air and then go over this with you in person to help give you a good idea what you are dealing with.
Old 28 May 2015, 09:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

About two years ago I had some bubbling at the vertical seam only on the Driverís side of my 05. It always starts internally of course. I sanded down the exterior surface and treated it with the rustoleum rust treatment that starts out white and turns black. Then I painted it with normal car paint after a couple of days. After some research, I treated both rocker panels internally with Eastwood Internal Frame coating. At the time, I didn't know if it would really stop the existing internal rust and protect the panel as advertised, but I thought it was worth a try. A can with a long application wand was $16 (then), and I used one on each side. There are a number of holes on the panel, and my panels were clean and dry internally so it may just be something that happens at the seam but I did the full length. I don't think it took more than 1/2 an hour to apply. You can do a fairly good job with the car on the ground, but there will be a fair amount of product that drains out on the driveway or ground. There will also be an odor in the car for a while that does go away completely. It still looks good today, so I would recommend this process.
Old 29 May 2015, 09:04 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Many years ago the rustproofing of cars was a big business. Rusty Jones was one of the brand names but the biggest slips my old man mind today. These companies would spray the inside surfaces of rocker panels and other voids ( door posts, fender wells etc) and give a ten year warrantee against rust occurring from the inside out in treated areas.
These companies faded away after the car manufacturers vastly improved their car designs and metal treatments in the manufacturing process.
Old 29 May 2015, 01:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Ziebart was the big name, and still in business today. I have an 89 Taurus SHO which I bought new and we had it done by ziebart. By dumb luck, that is the one car I ever kept for a long time. I still have it and it looks great to this day. When is the last time you saw a first generation Taurus in good condition? Rusty Jones did a lot of advertising and sold a lot of warranties, but the rumor in the day was they didn't do a lot more at some locations at least and they hoped you would sell the car before it did naturally rust.
Cars got much better for rusting in the 90's, but I see many cars made in the last 10 years that are in trouble for rust and they probably cost $30,000.