Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By 917K
  • 1 Post By littlelambfound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jan 2016, 03:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Car Vandalised...

Good Morning!
The night before last, my street parked 2004 Convertible had a most unfortunate meeting with (I can only presume) a bunch of drunken kids. Though they probably had terrible hangovers the following morning, I think my Cruiser came off worse. Outside mirrors both ripped off, interior trashed and inside rear view mirror gone missing.
Obviously without any mirrors the car is un-drivable (from the aspect of safety). I know that the outside mirrors are particular for Convertibles, but have searched in vain to find any.
The mirrors on mine are made up of 2 parts; the base and "stem", and then the rounded mirror housing. The former remains on the car, so...is it possible to fit just the rounded housing from a non Convertible? I'm not concerned about keeping electrical functionality.
Thank you for your time, J
Old 24 Jan 2016, 03:54 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Car Vandalised...

G'day J, welcome to our forum! Much cruiser enthusiasm all the way from Australia!

I'm sorry to hear, those buggers should have a go at their own cars first. You're right about the mirrors. I did a write up below of the assembly and how it attaches, if you're interested I suggest you purchase two aftermarket replacements, check eBay for identical non-genuine mirrors. They're much cheaper than the genuine mirrors. They won't have any functions, but they look great

If yours is a folding mirror, the mirror housing will be separate from the bracket, to allow it to fold. If not, it will all be one molded piece. Replacing just the mirror housing is possible, but I tried to do it and it involved A LOT of 'convincing'. An entirely new assembly would be the easier alternative, I doubt you'd fine just the mirror housing or bracket on it's own anyway.

A new interior rear-view mirror should be an easy replacement, any from your local auto store would be fine. Post some pictures of the interior damage, I'm sure we can offer some suggestions

Door Rear-view Mirrors:
The glass sits in that round plastic housing, mounted on a plate which enables tilting, heating, all the good stuff. The mirror housing sits on a plastic bracket which lets it fold inwards. Sometimes the whole thing is just one molded piece, no folding.

Between the flat side of the bracket and the door is a large rubber boot, which acts as a big seal against water. Three studs go from the plastic bracket, through the rubber, through the door, and into the car, held tight and flush with the door by three nuts.

Removal and replacement is very simple! Take off the triangular interior trim pieces, remove the three nuts and the whole mirror assembly will pull out (disconnect the plug first, if powered). Installation is the reverse.
CREWZIN and ptprice like this.

Last edited by 917K; 24 Jan 2016 at 04:08 am.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 07:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

Man, that really sucks. I hate to hear it. No verts in the junkyard I go to or I'd offer to look for you. Did they damage your top? If not, that's something to be grateful for.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 10:44 am
Senior Cruiser

The "2 part" mirrors probably means they have the pivot to swing away if bumped, so maybe you are right about the mirror housing half being the same with the hard tops. But I'm not sure if there's any way to get inside there to detach and attach the 2 halves without breaking out the glass mirror and/or some other components. It sucks what happened but you may be in for a unicorn hunt.

I believe the windshield and A-pillar on the convertibles are a different angle than the hard tops which is what makes the mirrors different.
Old 02 Apr 2016, 04:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Guys,
Just a quick follow up. Being unable to find any vert mirrors, I simply broke a normal pair of mirrors in half, re-attached all the wiring (so I have heating, and tilt and swivel)...but they no longer fold back. Looks-wise, they are identical to the originals.
On another note, I just took the plunge and removed the "sports bar". For 1/2 days work, the car sure does look different....more like a "proper" convertible Once detached you can see that the bar is just a flimsy piece of plastic. Now I just have to work out how to fill the holes left. Any suggestions?
ptprice likes this.
Old 02 Apr 2016, 08:13 am
Dedicated Cruiser

To fill the holes remaining after the Sports Bar is remove you might go the route I've noted below; (for clarity purposes I'll refer to the Sports Bar as "the cloths line")

I once removed a coveted rear spoiler from a Saturn sedan I was selling. The purchaser agreed he didn't really need it on that Saturn. I was at the time driving another Saturn of the same configuration that had had its spoiler remove at some earlier time in its life with the holes shoddily Bondo'd shut. A very unattractive fix that was actually leaking. This was the primary reason I coveted that spoiler. I wanted to cover and seal that shoddy fix but digging out the Bondo to use the same plug solution would mean a lot of repair body work.

His only requirement was that the mount holes be properly sealed. Cosmetics weren't a concern. A quick trip to a hardware store yielded a few attractive rubber plugs that fit in and sealed the holes. The plugs I'm referring to have a larger diameter top and bottom and a center grove that is the same size as the hole. The final look was just four round, flat, black rubber plug caps that successfully stopped any leaks into the trunk area and for all intents and purposes looked like something that might have been installed at the factory. So if those remaining holes are round this solution might do you in good stead.

It'd also give you the option of reinstalling that cloths line in the future, if you find the need to have some place to dry your laundry at speed. Whadaya think?

Happy Ptin'ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 02 Apr 2016, 08:57 am
Regular Cruiser

You can always PM me with your VIN and I can at least supply you with the correct part number or a jobber part number if need be.

I'm a parts wench at a Chrysler dealer and I can't be the only one on here

Tags
convertible, mirrors