PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2007 Convertible - top goes down, struggles to come up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2016, 09:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2007 Convertible - top goes down, struggles to come up

Hey cruisers...

Having an issue with my top on '07 touring. The top goes down with no issues. When trying to bring the top up, it doesnt do anything for the first foot (but motor whine). If I pull it up slightly, then the top will go up the rest of the way on its own.

I read several articles about checking the pump / topping off with fluid, and wondering if I should try it. Questions I have is this:

1) What type of hydraulic fluid do I need?
2) Is the pump located under the carpet under the rear seats?
3) Do I actually need to remove the seats, or once they are folded up, will I be able to access the pump with the carpet rolled up?

..any other thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Old 06 Feb 2016, 10:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 Convertible - top goes down, struggles to come up

I just went in for a closer look, and it appears its very easy to remove the seats 2 bolts per bracket....and the carpet appears it would be much easier going from the seats to the back vs the trunk forward...

I also just called the dealer (parts dept) and they said based on my VIN, its just regular hydraulic fluid that I can buy at any parts store...
Old 06 Feb 2016, 12:07 pm
Young Cruiser

I have a 2005 vert, if you don't see or think there's a leak, it my be as simple as adjusting the screw on the pump. Check your owners manual or look online, I took mine into dealer under an aftermarket extended warranty having same issue, they said it was simply turning the adjustment screw on the hydraulic pump & it's been working fine for over 4 years now, even after being stored away during winter months. I found a picture of it after process was done, don't recall if in manual, online, or in my Haynes book. Hope this helps.
2005 PT GT Convertible HO Turbo Autostick ~ black/black leather ~ 53,000 miles ~ summer-only driver ~ OEM rear sway bar ~ K&N 57 series CAI ~ 4-wheel ABS ~ Hawk Sector 27 drilled/slotted rotors ~ Hawk Performance Ceramic pads ~ Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Wide-Oval performance tires ~
Old 06 Feb 2016, 02:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

where exactly is the pump? Im not sure if its under the seat...saw a video...but may not have been for exact car...
Old 06 Feb 2016, 03:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I found the pump...its behind the seat on the top section....I found the access hole in the trunk as well...there is a screw (flat-heat) and a star-bit/torx....the flat heat was very tight...didnt seem like it was loose...didnt try the star-bit yet...from the top (inside the car) where the motor/pump was visible, it didnt appear to have any leaks, nor did it look like it had an access hole to put more fluid....

kinda stumped....wondering if one of the cylinders/shafts is leaking..I can kinda see them behind the side panels, under the top...hard to see but didnt see any leaks...if there was a leak, I doubt I would see it...

thought?
Old 06 Feb 2016, 04:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

what I saw in the owners manual was, the flat-head screw is the bleeder valve that is used to release hydraulic pressure in emergency if the top is down, and you need to lift it up manually. I loosened it, and lifted the top up manually and then tightened it.

I think the cylinder on the driver's side is shot...when I try to raise the top, it appears the passenger side is lifting, but the drivers side doesnt....so now I have to decide if I want to go further...

I did not see anywhere on the pump that looks like a filler screw or anything of that nature...

This ebay ad (not related to me) has pictures of what my pump looks like..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2008-Ch...NWs~Zj&vxp=mtr

*sigh*

Last edited by rg1; 06 Feb 2016 at 05:04 pm.
Old 06 Feb 2016, 05:11 pm
Young Cruiser

Unfortunately I can't be of more help, since my car was still under an extended aftermarket warranty, the dealership took care of it. Did make it seem like it was a simple adjustment they made routinely, didn't bother to charge me the small deductible normally associated with work they did. I guess if I were in your shoes, kinda knowing what the issue is, take it into a "trusted" Chrysler dealer or if you have a reputable convertible top shop in your area go there. Have it looked at & they may be able to make adjustments and all is well. Or if something is shot you'll know what your looking at & decide the course of action, possibly have an estimate of replacement costs, etc. Convertible tops are one of those things that are really kinda specialized unfortunately, wish I could be of more assistance.
2005 PT GT Convertible HO Turbo Autostick ~ black/black leather ~ 53,000 miles ~ summer-only driver ~ OEM rear sway bar ~ K&N 57 series CAI ~ 4-wheel ABS ~ Hawk Sector 27 drilled/slotted rotors ~ Hawk Performance Ceramic pads ~ Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Wide-Oval performance tires ~

Tags
convertible top, hydraulic fluid