PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
FrankenCruiser

 
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By Russo

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 15 Mar 2016, 03:11 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 67
Default FrankenCruiser

My Wife's 2005 convertible with over 230,000 miles trashed its engine last week. We found a 2005 Conv. with 108,000 and have taken the 'leather' seats, front and rear, door panels and visors, conv. top motor from the old PT and have them put in the 'new ' PT. Also having the timing belt, water pump and engine mounts replaced. The 108K MI PT has cloth interior, yuck!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 15 Mar 2016, 03:22 pm
LionPT's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,364
Default Re: FrankenCruiser

Why not just replace the engine..??
__________________

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 15 Mar 2016, 03:48 pm
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,398
Default Re: FrankenCruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
My Wife's 2005 convertible with over 230,000 miles trashed its engine last week. We found a 2005 Conv. with 108,000 and have taken the 'leather' seats, front and rear, door panels and visors, conv. top motor from the old PT and have them put in the 'new ' PT. Also having the timing belt, water pump and engine mounts replaced. The 108K MI PT has cloth interior, yuck!
Great minds think alike.

I am planning on buying a PT convertible sometime this year. There's lots of turbo lite PT convertibles around here but very few convertible GT's. So I am collecting GT parts. I already have all the "go-fast" stuff and like you, I have scoped out a nice leather interior.

Post some photos of your "upgrades". There's nothing like taking a plain-Jane girl and dressing her up like a movie star.
Gkon likes this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 31 Mar 2016, 12:17 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 67
Default Re: FrankenCruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Why not just replace the engine..??
Buying the "New" 2005 was cheaper than having a rebuilt engine put in the old PT, and we also get a tranny with less than half the miles on the dead PT.
VsandFords likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 31 Mar 2016, 12:19 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 67
Default Re: FrankenCruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Great minds think alike.

I am planning on buying a PT convertible sometime this year. There's lots of turbo lite PT convertibles around here but very few convertible GT's. So I am collecting GT parts. I already have all the "go-fast" stuff and like you, I have scoped out a nice leather interior.

Post some photos of your "upgrades". There's nothing like taking a plain-Jane girl and dressing her up like a movie star.
Sorry, no pics. Didn't take before and after ones and the dead PT has been donated to charity and towed.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 31 Mar 2016, 12:43 pm
LionPT's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,364
Default Re: FrankenCruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
Buying the "New" 2005 was cheaper than having a rebuilt engine put in the old PT, and we also get a tranny with less than half the miles on the dead PT.

I didn't rebuild it...your taking all the parts from your old PT & putting them into the new PT, why not just put the new PT engine into the old PT..??
That would seem a lot easier unless there is something wrong with the old PT that you haven't posted about.

EDIT: I guess it doesn't matter now that the old PT was given away.
__________________

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 17 May 2016, 08:12 am
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 67
Default Re: FrankenCruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
I didn't rebuild it...your taking all the parts from your old PT & putting them into the new PT, why not just put the new PT engine into the old PT..??
That would seem a lot easier unless there is something wrong with the old PT that you haven't posted about.

EDIT: I guess it doesn't matter now that the old PT was given away.
The other thing I forgot to mention is that the high mileage PT conv's clear coat and paint were showing the effects of too much Florida sunshine. The low mileage conv does not have that problem.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors