2005 Gt vert. - new to me! - some questions

Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By domer94
  • 3 Post By DroptopPTGTCruizer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 May 2016, 09:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 Gt vert. - new to me! - some questions

i finally made the plunge. I joined this forum a while back while researching the PT since it was a runner up on a vehicle purchase. anyhow , some cars later, I finally went down that road. I found a super clean light almond metallic / beige top with 61k miles for $5700 (an ebay auction that worked in my favor). I brought her home today and couldn't be more pleased with the way the car drives and feels. my first mod will be cosmetic.. chrome grille overlay. I like the clean look of the stock GT and chrome "torque thrusts" , but will probably do some tein springs in the future to level out the stance.
questions so far are-- are the instrument / dash backlights inherently on the dim side? it was a pretty rainy cloudy day today and I had the lights on.. I thought the instr / dash lights were INOP until I got home and tested in the garage that was more dark.
also , when the rear trunk is released by the key fob, is the trunk supposed to lift open by itself or "pop open " at least a few inches?
does this vehicle have a cabin filter element?
is the transmission on the turbo models serviceable? - is there a drain plug / pan / filter that can be changed? I haven't got under the car yet.

Old 04 May 2016, 09:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 Gt vert. - new to me! - some questions

Congratulations on a nice looking car with low miles and a good price.

Not to ask anything silly, but did you try turning up the brightness of the dash lights? It's on the left stalk as I recall. BTW, the instruments are good to go at night, but not the easiest things to read during the day. I have to really look close, especially since I only drive it occasionally.

Regarding the trunk struts, I just replaced them on the wife's PT Cruiser because it wouldn't pop open when I hit the remote. As I was putting the new ones on, I realized that there was no way that even brand new struts could pop it open, while the trunk is closed, they are pushing down, not out. Perhaps there's something else that's supposed to give it a boost, one of the other forum members will have to chime in.

I don't know about a cabin filter. If it does have one, I doubt it's effectiveness with the top down.

According to the (2004) service manual, the transmission is serviceable. It has an oil pan and filter.
Old 04 May 2016, 11:30 pm
Banned

Welcome to the forum

Nice looking 'vert, enjoy it!
Old 04 May 2016, 11:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Nice looking PT vert, congrats! I too have an '05 GT, has the chrome upper & lower grille, really looks nice vs the painted body color. The trunk just 'pops' so it can be lifted open from either the key fob or the release in the glove box, no real movement from the trunk.

There is a cabin filter area located on passenger side, if you open the hood there is the plastic grid covering the area that can be removed to access the filter box area, see this link found on this site complete with video, I put mine in that was an inexpensive Ebay find - Do all PTs have a cabin air filter?

The transmission is serviceable, it's something I am going to do in the next month myself. You have to drop the entire pan to drain, about 4-5 quarts of fluid which is approx 1/2 the trans capacity. This is when you want to change the filter & replace the original pan with a Dorman pan from Rockauto that comes with a drain plug installed for easy fluid changing going forward. Learned all this from reading thru many, many posts here on this forum, this pan swap is recommended by many owners. Mine is on order currently & is about $24 for the Dorman pan not including gasket. You can find many trans fluid posts here explaining fluid capacities, draining techniques, etc. Of course consult a manual for your capacities.

Dash lights aren't the brighest during the day, but as the other member stated adjustable brightness is on the left stalk off the steering column.

Also being that it's new to you 2 other suggestions, change the oil to full synthetic, this is for the benefit of the turbo, reasoning can be located throughout the forum. Secondly is change out the coolant & thermostat if your unsure of it's previous service, Zerex G-05 is the fluid. Again lots of info about the type of coolant, advice, etc can be found by searching this forum.

This is one of the most informative places your going to find where PT's are discussed & terrific advice given by many knowledgeable members.

Enjoy your PT vert in the upcoming summer months!!
2005 PT GT Convertible HO Turbo Autostick ~ black/black leather ~ 53,000 miles ~ summer-only driver ~ OEM rear sway bar ~ K&N 57 series CAI ~ 4-wheel ABS ~ Hawk Sector 27 drilled/slotted rotors ~ Hawk Performance Ceramic pads ~ Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Wide-Oval performance tires ~
Old 14 May 2016, 12:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks droptop and others. I just got the dorman pan , so maybe I can squeeze all this in this weekend. going to be using some mobil1 high mileage 5w-30. now I have three vehicles that all use the same oil... makes things that much easier I guess.
Old 23 Aug 2016, 03:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

REALLY nice looking car. I love the body color, top color and interior colors. Congratulations on finding a real beauty. No, the button only releases the latch, the "pizza oven" door does not pop open.

One thing that wasn't mentioned is that the factory service manual stipulates the use of RTV silicone instead of a gasket on the tranny pan. They want you to apply a bead of RTV, install the pan, and just lightly snug the bolts. Then, after a day, you can torque them down to spec.